Pages

Monday, July 31, 2023

Embrace in 2023: July

I'm a little in shock to look at the calendar and realize that today is the last day of July; it's been a whirlwind of a month! But as it's the last Monday of the month, that means it's time to check in with my One Little Word. Thanks, as always, to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-ups.

If you know me in person, you will know that I'm a shy introvert who generally steers clear of large gatherings of people. That tendency has only increased in the COVID years, and for good reason. But I also recognize that it's not healthy (emotionally, at least) to isolate all the time, so this past month, I've embraced being around others, in large part thanks to attending SSK.

I think it helped a lot that this was not my first time attending the event. I was really nervous the first time around because I didn't know anyone, and I didn't know how friendly and welcoming people would be. This time around, I knew that I would be fine sitting down with a table full of strangers (which I tried to do as much as possible in order to meet new people). There were some people I did tend to seek out, but I made an effort to talk to new people, and I'm so glad I did. As I mentioned in my wrap-up post, I met some amazing people from across the country and around the world, and that would not have happened had I stuck to my introvert tendencies. Was it exhausting? Of course, but contrary to my usual experiences, I felt pleasantly tired rather than drained at the end of the day. I suppose the moral of the story is that while resisting my normal tendencies can be a bit uncomfortable, there's a lot to be gained from embracing the circumstances.

And then when I got back, I quite literally embraced this cutie, who will be three months old tomorrow!


11 comments:

  1. You put your word into action, at SSK and at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cutie is an easy embrace... but I love your thoughts on the "crowd" at SSK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strong work stepping out and making connections. Isn’t it great to have something like knitting to help you push past and embrace new experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real embraces are the best, gorgeous baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I'm his auntie (and not his mom) I can say that he is indeed!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you had a great experience at SSK and good for you for getting out of your comfort zone. It's not easy, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH a beautiful baby. And...I've loved reading about your SSK adventure. Regarding that today, I appreciate this distinction you make: "...pleasantly tired rather than drained at the end of the day." What a difference that makes.(You nailed it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo, Sarah! It is so hard to step out into new situations and meet up with new people. I'm so glad you embraced the opportunity! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. (I also tend to think fiber folks are the best kind of folks.) (Except the ones who work/hang out at my sad, little LYS. . . )
    And your little nephew is absolutely precious! I can't believe how big he's getting already! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a little sweetheart. My hat is off to you for embracing the chance to meet new people. It takes a lot of energy to do so but it is often time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you stepping out of your comfort zone and meeting new people (I'm a shy introvert like you). I'm glad you had such a fine time (and got such lovely things!!). Your nephew is simply darling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great month to experience your word! and I hope "pleasantly tired" after all that interacting with others also meant "good sleep" (I'm always better at embracing anything if I'm rested.) and of course having such a cutie to embrace in person is a great way to wrap it all up!

    ReplyDelete