Pages

Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Unraveled, Week 27/2023

I totally get that a holiday that always falls on a certain date is going to move around to different days of the week, but I have to say that having a Tuesday off is really throwing me for a loop when it comes to being aware of what day of the week it is! Yesterday I kept thinking it was the weekend and had to remind myself that it wasn't. At least if it still has to be the middle of the week, it's my favorite blogging day -- time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers!

I am happy to report that I have finally finished plying the green combo spin, ending up with two full bobbins of yarn.

I decided to take a time-lapse video of the process of winding off one of the bobbins into a skein, just for fun. This makes it look so fast and easy, but really this was a 20-30 minute process (please excuse my knee being in the shot for a lot of it):


I washed the skeins last night and they're still a little damp, so I don't have final yardage yet, but at least they're done!


Speaking of finishing, I finished a sock yesterday while we were at my brother- and sister-in-law's for a cookout!

Amazingly, I finished this sock in the precise part of the stripe sequence to make the second sock match. I love it when that happens!

I have done a lot of reading this past week but have only finished one book -- but that's okay, because it was a good one!

Flight Behavior wasn't originally on our list of books for the Kingsolver-along, but when a number of us in the group started reading it, we decided to bump the book that was originally planned to be discussed next and do this one. If you've read any Kingsolver, then you know that most (if not all) of her books have a political message, and this one focuses heavily on the impacts of climate change. The story follows what happens when monarch butterflies inexplicably show up in a small Appalachian town rather than their normal wintering location in Mexico and the conflict between those who want to study and save them and those who don't believe that climate change is real. I can see how some readers would quickly tire of Kingsolver's being on her soapbox, but it's an opinion I happen to agree with. And I think her writing is really spectacular -- not to mention that the family at the heart of the story has a sheep farm, so there's plenty of content about sheep and shearing and yarn as well! I gave it 4 stars.

I'm currently reading my last unread Ann Patchett, her essay collection This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage, which I hope to finish today, as well as a slim novel, Portrait of an Unknown Lady. My hold on Lessons in Chemistry finally came up at the library yesterday, so I expect I'll be digging into that soon.

What's keeping you busy this week?

9 comments:

  1. The greens in that combo spin look lovely and verdant! And finishing the sock at the place where you need to start the second seems like a win, too. I liked Flight Behavior but feeling like I was being preached to did color my feelings about the book. I really felt that way about Kingsolver's Unsheltered, so I'll be interested in how you feel about that one if you are reading it. I'll also be interested in your thoughts on Lessons in Chemistry. I have opinions on that one, but may be in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spun yarn is beautiful.

    You'll have to let us know what you think of Lessons in Chemistry. Vera and I had such differing opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess to watching your winding video more than once! It is a beautiful thing! I am officially putting that on my Christmas/Birthday list! (and your combo spin is lovely!!) Steve is with you on the mixed up week... he had Monday and Tuesday off and is panicking about all the stuff he has to "get done" in 3-days, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those green yarns are so gorgeous! And the sock is looking good. I know what you mean about being so thrilled when those stripes work out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've sure had some fine finishes this week!
    I finished listening to Happy Marriage recently; I'm an AP fan, and I like her non-fiction even more than her fiction. These Precious Days is my favorite of her essays--curious to hear what you think of the two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely yarn, as always! :-) And the stripes are so fun! I always think things are lining up "just right" in the universe when little things like . . . stripe matching . . . work out with no real effort! (I wish AP was my neighbor.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohhh, the yarn looks fabulous! My Patchett Project only included fiction, but I might be adding the non-fiction after I read Tom Lake - I am just a huge fan ... and - like Kym - so wish she were my neighbor (and also that she owned a cool and WELL-stocked bookstore in my town) - Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thrown by the holiday on a Tuesday too. It's been hard to find my bearings this week! Your video is SO MUCH FUN. How cool is that??!

    I haven't read Flight Behavior yet but I'll be putting it on my TBR. You're making it sound so good!!

    ReplyDelete