Pages

Friday, June 21, 2024

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I'm so glad that it's finally Friday; even with the day off in the middle, it's been a long, busy, HOT week. The heat wave hasn't let up just yet, but yesterday afternoon, after we'd had several days with clouds and thunder but no rain, we finally got a quick storm and a much-needed downpour. The garden has really needed the water, and I was thankful I didn't have to go out and water in the heat, especially because yesterday was the hottest day yet in this stretch. As long as I was thinking about it, I thought I'd share a little update on the garden. If you recall, here's how the big side of the front yard looked right after I'd planted my Mother's Day purchases:


And here's how it looks now (you can tell that we're running a rain deficit from the color of the grass):


The tomato, eggplant, and zucchini plants have absolutely exploded in the planter, and the hydrangeas, salvia, and lavender are doing well. I've been dutifully watering the impatiens and polka dot plants along the border, but I'm also fighting a battle with the bunnies who like to eat the flowers, so they aren't looking as robust as I'd hope. The other side of the yarn isn't looking as good, but we do have a couple of "snacking peppers" growing! In the back, I've got one sunflower in a pot that I'm about ready to transplant up front (last year the bunnies ate all of them, so I thought I'd wait until I had one that was bigger), and though the hostas have mostly been eaten, the pachysandra is looking pretty good. Unfortunately we've had some vermin in the composter again, so I am taking a break from throwing our kitchen scraps in there. I might just take a pause, spread out what compost we have, and put down some mesh underneath it to keep the critters from digging up under it.

Though the weather has been entirely inappropriate for knitting, I have been getting some in every evening (thank goodness for air conditioning!). I finished up the Bousta Beanie and found I had enough yarn leftover for another, which I started last night (and it took two attempts because black yarn + aging eyes = the wrong number of stitches the first time).


The heat is supposed to continue through this weekend, so outside activities will be at a minimum. On Sunday evening we're headed to our synagogue's big fundraising event that's held every two years, and it feels a bit like the culminating event of my board service. I don't have anything to do other than attend, however, and it's one less meal I'll have to worry about for the week.

I hope your weekend is enjoyable, relaxing, and as physically comfortable as possible. Stay cool and stay hydrated, friends!

6 comments:

  1. Your plants do look lovely, at least the ones that the bunnies aren't munching. Good luck keeping them away during the rest of the summer. Our garden is beginning to suffer with the heat and no rain, but yesterday John did pick a gazillion snow peas and we blanched and froze 20 quart packs. It was hot work! Your first hat looks great and I'm anxious to see how the colors look reversed. For some reason I can't picture that in my imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with Bonny that your first hat looks b beautiful, but I can't wrap my head around how reversing the colors will look! Your garden plants are lovely. We finally have itty-bitty cucumbers and yellow squash forming and our eggplant (in a big iron kettle on our patio) is about to bloom...then the eggplants will begin to form. We were at Colin's last night for dinner and had some cucumber from his garden as well as beet greens from his garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your front beds have filled in so well -- and quite quickly! I'll bet it brings joy to come home to that, when you pull up to your house/driveway.
    So the every-two-year fundraiser... I'm curious about the background/decision for biennial vs. annual. (It appeals to me, as an organizer!)
    And I can't wait to see that hat reversed. It'll be fun to see them side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am only just beginning to think about adding some plants now that we are going to be above 50 degrees. My lavender is going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have bunny problems in our garden too. Thankfully they only eat the leaves and not the fruits but still.... LOVE that hat design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! your beds look great - so much growth in five weeks! and wishing all of us some rain or some cooler temps - or BOTH!

    ReplyDelete