Pages

Monday, July 29, 2024

Better in 2024: July

We've arrived at the final Monday of the month, which means it's time to check in with my One Little Word.

Some months reflecting on my One Little Word is more of a challenge, but this month, I didn't have to think about it at all because I knew exactly how I was Better this month (and if you were paying attention a couple of weeks ago, you'll realize that I was aware of it at the time). In going to the TwinSet Summer Retreat this month, I was Better at doing things that intimidate me: I drove on a "big road" for a long period of time and went to an event where I really didn't know anyone else. These were both pretty big deals for me. I typically hate driving, in part because I'd rather spend a long drive being productive but mainly because other drivers make me so nervous. Before this trip, the only time I'd ever driven on the turnpike once, and it was an emergency situation (it was when I went to TNNA with my friend Lisa of Fibernymph Dye Works back in 2018 and she woke up with vertigo the day we were supposed to come home). I had to drive if I wanted to go on this trip, and it was a huge confidence boost for me. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I definitely noticed that the trip home was less stressful than the trip there. And of course once the drive there was complete, there was another challenge: joining a group of knitters who all knew each other and who I didn't know. As a shy introvert, attending any sort of large gathering is a source of anxiety, but I know that when I force myself to do it, I always enjoy myself. And that was certainly the case in this instance.

While it wasn't my objective in attending this event, Mary pointed out that I was setting a great example for Mo, and she's absolutely right. My daughter is so much like me, so it's great for her to see me doing things that make her uncomfortable, too. As she gets older, the parenting wins are certainly less frequent, and I'll happily take this one.

Thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-up, as always!

8 comments:

  1. It was a good month for being better in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are HUGE wins, Sarah! HUGE wins! I think that stepping outside of our comfort zone gets harder and harder as we age, but your rewards for stepping out were so amazing! What a fantastic and better month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with Bonny & Kat more! Two 'betters'--back to back, and with Mo along...it feels big. I think you point out an important distinction -- being a 'shy introvert.' I hovered there for a bit, thinking about the difference. For you, that experience involves anxiety. For me, as an extroverted introvert, it involves exhaustion. (It's not hard for me to do it -- even if I don't necessarily *want* to, but I will need, on average, 6 days to recover from it.)
    I'm so happy for you not only that you did it, but that you felt even better (!) on the way back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you and Mo came to the coffee shop to meet Dee, Bonny and me. Yes, we three already knew each other...but we really already knew you as well (and Mo by association). I hate turnpike driving (boring and it makes me sleepy). YAY for you forging ahead and doing what might not be comfortable...but has good results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Sarah! Those are some huge wins for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giving you an enormous cheer. and another one. and another one. Just keep driving, so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still more than happy to let someone else drive whenever possible, but it's good to know that I can do it if I have to (or want to)!

      Delete