Pages

Monday, July 01, 2024

Hello, Monday; Hello, July

I was not very excited for my alarm to go off this morning after a not-so-great night of sleep, but at least it's a short week. And while the heat and humidity are coming back midweek, right now it's 56ºF with a 50º dew point, which means I'm going to have a very comfortable run this morning!

We had a fairly low-key weekend, with the usual chores and errands but also a lot of relaxation time. I started out by finishing up both of the projects that were close to the end, starting with the second Bousta Beanie:

Somehow I used less yarn (about nine yards) on the second hat, despite knitting them exactly the same way. No matter -- I'm very happy with them both! Now they're ready for a bath and a block before they're added to the donation pile.

I also finished up the Benny singles Friday evening, so I was ready to start plying on Saturday:

After several plying sessions over both days, I had one bobbin finished yesterday:

I was concerned about having enough of this yarn for the main color of the sweater pattern I have in mind, but based upon how long it took to fill this first bobbin, I'm feeling more confident. I'll have to wait until I skein up the yarn to know for sure, of course, but there seems to be quite a lot of yardage there. I will continue to ply the rest today, as work allows.

I also started my test knit of the Little Plinth Tee over the weekend:

This is the peplum/ruffle along the bottom of the tee, and I actually think this part is going to be the slowest of the whole project because I have to count rows and work a set of short rows every 12 rows. But I've gotten into a groove now and no longer have to check the pattern as closely, so I don't think it will take me too long to get the rest of it done. Once I pick up for the body and start working in the round, I think it will be even faster. It would be great if I could get the whole thing done before Mo and I leave for our retreat next week, but we'll see. I'm focusing on this week first and will think about retreat knitting next week.

As I mentioned, it's a short week. Obviously we're off on Thursday for the holiday (I'm hoping for an early dismissal from work on Wednesday to kick it off), but I decided to take a vacation day on Friday as well, both because I needed to use up some time and because the Mister and I have a wedding to go to in the evening. I'm also going to try to donate blood again (this is attempt number 4 in the last month) on Friday afternoon; I'll share that saga if anyone is interested, but I'm hoping this is the end of it. In the meantime, I'm hoping it's a quiet week at work given the holiday. I hope it's a good week for you!

9 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to a short week here as well (Steve has off on Friday as well!) Your spinning is beautiful, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a busy work week for Steve. Fireworks, parades, and festivals! That means plenty of stitching/knitting time for me.

    The beanies turned out really nicely. I like the one that features the black more prominently, but they are BOTH very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that there will be two lucky recipients of your hats, they are really cheerful! the weather today here is nice as well and it's supposed to stay comfortable for another day or two, I think. I'm off all week and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful spinning (I do love blue) and your two hats turned out so nice. I can't wait to see more of that baby sweater!! The weather here today is gorgeous - actually almost chilly. And now (3 p.m.) you are just about one-third of the way through your work week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Boustas are beautiful and so is the plied yarn! Your Little Plinth tee seems a tiny bit fussy (for the peplum at least) but it will be worthwhile for a cute little girl pattern. Here's hoping you have a great short week (and good luck with the blood donation)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hats are spectacular. Fingers crossed you have enough of that gorgeous blue handspun for the sweater. I hope your work week is uneventful. What a good idea to take Friday off and make it a three day week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for short work weeks! (Although I hate the way the 4th of July has turned into a weeks-long fireworks extravaganza. I'm not a fan of fireworks, generally, but when they're in neighborhoods - with dogs! - it is just so disruptive.) (I sound like such an Old Person . . . ) Love your hats! What wonderful, colorful hats to keep someone warm this winter! XO (Enjoy your run!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That blue yarn is Gorgeous! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love how those blue singles are plying up!

    ReplyDelete