Pages

Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Unraveled, Week 27/2024

Good morning! It's Wednesday, which usually means linking up with Kat and the Unravelers, but as Kat is taking a little break from being online right now, there's no official link-up. I like a routine, though, so I'm doing my usual post.

I am, still, plying my three blue singles. I had hoped to finish up the second bobbin yesterday, but I had some actual work to do (boo). I'm hoping it'll get finished today so I can skein and get an estimate of my yardage; I don't want to start splitting up fiber for the contrast until I know if I have enough main color for the sweater I have in mind (Ravelry link), though I do have a plan, which I will share if the blues end up being enough.

I've been continuing to work on my test knit in the evenings while we continue our watch of Gilmore Girls (we are almost halfway through the second season). I'm just about finished with the bottom ruffle and should be able to wrap that up this evening.

I also cast on a new project about a week ago that I never shared with you. I like to have something plain to knit while I'm reading something for work (I concentrate better if I have something to do with my hands, but it has to be something I can knit without looking), so I decided to start a pair of socks for my father-in-law for the holidays. It's been a while since I last knit him socks -- years, in fact -- so he was due to get a pair. He's a pretty plain guy, so I pulled some pretty plain yarn out of deep stash.

Want to know how old this yarn is? This is Knit Picks Essential Tweed, a yarn that was discontinued/rebranded as Stroll back in 2009. I wasn't too into rainbow-y tweed back then, which means that I probably bought this on clearance to get to free shipping and that was probably when the yarn line was on its way out. Even if I bought it in 2009, that means this yarn is still likely older than Mo. I know some of you might have stash that's a lot older, but considering that I only started seriously knitting around 2004/2005, that's still pretty old for me.

I haven't done as much reading this past week -- well, at least I haven't done as much finishing this week -- and only finished one book.

I was in the mood for a fun audiobook over the weekend and borrowed Sex and Vanity from the library. This is a modern retelling of A Room with a View, with the added complexity of issues of race and money. I'd enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians, and this book is very much in the same vein: lots of people who are too rich trying to outdo each other. It got a little tiresome in this book, though I think that was kind of the point (at least for one character), and I got a little annoyed with the narrator, who didn't entirely succeed in all the accents she was trying to do. That said, it was good entertainment while I was out exercising and cleaning. I gave it 3 stars.


I'm still chipping away at A Suitable Boy, and earlier in the week I started an ARC that I was invited to read and review from NetGalley called Like Mother, Like Mother. I'm halfway through and should finish it up soon.

I'll leave you today with a little life hack. I'm a big fan of iced coffee in the summer -- it's a special treat on those days when I run in the heat and find myself very sleepy after lunch. But I don't drink it quickly and get annoyed when it gets watered down, so a couple of years ago, I started making ice cubes from coffee. We tend to have a little left in the pot most days (not enough for another cup), so I've been pouring that into a silicone tray that I bought for freezing homemade baby food back when Mo was a little one:

When all the spots are full and frozen, I'll pop them out and store them in a Ziplock. Easy peasy!

If you're celebrating the holiday tomorrow, I hope it's a good one!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Great idea for the coffee ice cubes. I think my friend Leslie does that as well. Fingers crossed that you will have enough blue for your chosen sweater. Happy last day of work for you this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying iced coffee recently since I got a Nespresso. The iced coffee pods are extra strong to accommodate for being watered down by ice cubes but your idea would make the coffee even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those tweed socks... I have knit some "stripey tweed" (from Lisa at Fibernymph) But a plain tweed is even more gorgeous! I love your idea for coffee cubes... I used to do that frequently, but had forgotten all about it! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that tweedy sock yarn and it seems perfect for a project that you don't really have to look at. I'm always wishing that I had made tea ice cubes when I have tea in the afternoon, so maybe I will finally give it a try instead of just wishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, making coffee ice cubes it a terrific idea. I also don't like watered down ice coffee and this solves the problem. Enjoy the socks. Pulling yarn out of deep stash is very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete