Pages

Friday, July 26, 2024

Playing Chicken

Happy Friday, friends. I am always happy to get to the end of a work week, but I'm especially glad this week, as it's been a long and hard one. I didn't mention it earlier in the week, but we found out that my cousin's son (who Mo, my parents, my brother and sister-in-law, and my nephew had all been with last weekend) tested positive for COVID after they got home, so in addition to dealing with work and the heat, I've been dealing with anxiety about that. Fortunately no one has had any symptoms, so it looks like (fingers crossed!) we've dodged the bullet. But that anxiety, plus my general issues with sleep, have meant some short nights this week, so I'm very much looking forward to getting a little extra time in bed this weekend.

Fortunately the lack of sleep has not impacted my ability to focus on a knitting pattern, even one that's not as well written as it could be. Behold -- a chicken ready for its head:

I expect I'll be able to finish this fine fowl up this weekend, over which I plan to watch a fair amount of Olympics coverage. Working from the pattern for a second time, and with the intention to knit it again, I think I will likely spend some time rewriting it for my own use so that it's a bit clearer. I've been able to figure it out, but I also think I could improve on it and make knitting a chicken a bit less of an effort.

One bright spot this past week is that we've gotten some much-needed rain! We're still at a deficit, but the garden has been very happy. I've got a handful of spaghetti squashes growing bigger by the day along the fence, and when I went to pick the ripe cherry tomatoes and check on the other plants yesterday, I got quite a surprise in the zucchini patch:

This zucchini was not there just two days earlier, or, at least, it was small enough that I didn't notice it. I imagine I might have even more surprises today!

On tap for today is a run (hello, lower humidity!), baking challah, working on yet another annual report for work, and squishing my nephew for the first time in nearly a month at dinner tonight. I wish you a relaxing final weekend of July!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry about the worries over Covid. Glad you all seem to be ok. Bullet dodged for sure. That will be a mighty fine chicken once completed (love the yarn). I will be washer shopping (or deciding on what I want) today. I finished God of the Woods (good, not great, but kept me interested) and started James which I am loving. Also...knitting baby socks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that nobody else develops covid. That is one terrific-looking chicken, and your zucchini looks great, too. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors you're using for your chicken! I'll probably get around to knitting one one of these days. And hello zucchini! What a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zucchini certainly looks healthy and delicious. I hope you all stay Covid-free. Honestly, that virus anxiety does get a little old. We went to a big anniversary party last weekend and I kept thinking about the risk of Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I thought the chicken was a cropped top bralette thing. We finally got rain here too. I can't get over how quick things began growing after the rain. I swear, by the time I finished mowing, I needed to mow the first area all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chicken is moving right along! I am ever so glad that no one was horribly ill with COVID... whew! I hope your weekend was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete