Pages

Monday, September 23, 2024

Fall-ish

It is an overcast, rainy Monday morning here in Pittsburgh. We certainly need the rain, badly, but it makes it that much harder to get up when the alarm goes off -- and that seemed to be the case for both the Mister and Molly, who both got back into bed after their alarms went off this morning. I would have liked to do the same, but someone has to get the household moving!

Yesterday was, of course, the first day of fall, but it still feels very much like summer here. This week we're supposed to get more rain and highs are going to be a little lower than last week (in the upper 70s as opposed to the mid-80s), but it still does not feel like fall. I'm a bit jealous of those who have weather cool enough to wear handknits, and frankly I'm starting to worry we're going to skip directly from summer to winter.

We had a fairly low-key weekend, which was much needed. Work was quiet enough for me on Friday that I was able to get some cleaning and laundry done, freeing up my Saturday, and that meant extra time reading and crafting. I finally finished up the double-ended hat Saturday afternoon:

I used my pattern (Ravelry link) and the skein of Malabrigo Ultimate Sock that came home with me from the retreat in July. I'm still undecided as to whether this is going in the charity pile or if it will go to my middle nephew, but either way it's done and another skein has been used up.

Now my main focus is finishing up my Sugarplummed socks -- my only WIP right now, if you can believe it!

I've got about three inches of foot left before I start the toe, and as this is all I'm actively working on at the moment, I expect these socks will be a finished pair by midweek.

Now that summer is officially over, I want to say a quick thanks to Kym for hosting her Summer Vibes Scavenger Hunt and for encouraging me to embrace the summer months instead of resenting them for making me feel like a warm puddle of goo. I received some lovely gifts from her for my participation:

Kym, I don't know if you just picked out things that appealed to you or if you had me in mind, but you couldn't have selected more perfect items for me -- thank you!

I hope you aren't having too much trouble getting your Monday started! I will see you back here on Wednesday with a crafting and reading update.

8 comments:

  1. The grey, dreary start did make it challenging to get out of bed! But I was excited about the possibility of rain! (We just had a drizzle before sunrise thus far... I am hoping for more!) I need to kick it in high gear on my September socks! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely collection of gifts from Kym! A summer scavenger hunt sounds like a lot of fun!

    I hope things start feeling like fall for you soon. We're having some cool and cloudy days, with rain towards the end of the week. I am delighted. I'll send it your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cloudy and 70 degrees here, but that just means it's neither cool enough nor rainy enough for me. That hat will keep someone nice and warm and I do like those Sugarplum socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun treasures! And what lovely memories you'll have of Kym and the summer when you use them!
    I zoomed in on that hat, and it looks like there are some very pretty, subtle flecks in there. Either your nephew or a stranger will be a lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not minding the warmer temps (although we aren't as warm as you) because it means my dahlias are continuing to bloom. I love your prize package from Kym, she always send the best stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the "stuff," Sarah. (Actually . . . I have a bin of "prize fodder" that I keep on hand for various things - some blog/some not. So I guess you could say that I "shopped my fodder stash" with you in mind. And all the monthly scavenger hunt winners got the basic same prize journal . . . in different colors.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hat looks great! I definitely need to make myself a double ended hat for this winter, I've been putting it off for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the knits! The hat is awesome but those socks! LOVE the socks!

    ReplyDelete