Pages

Friday, September 06, 2024

Wrapping Up and Casting On

Why is it that the short weeks seem to last longer? That's certainly been the case this week. In addition to an important project at work (which I started and then was told abruptly to stop because major changes needed to be made), I donated blood on Tuesday and then went to get my annual breast MRI on Wednesday (all good!). And I've generally felt a little off all week -- nothing major, just not feeling quite 100%. So I'm glad it's almost the weekend and there will be some extra sleep in my future.

Thanks to the stoppage of that work project, I had some extra time on my hands the past few days and wrapped up some knitting. On Wednesday afternoon and evening, I finished up the hat to go with the Newborn Vertebrae and the first sock of my current pair.

The hat is a free pattern that I have made many times before; I often refer to it as the "rude baby hat" because that strip of fabric that's knotted on the top looks, well, rather phallic before it's tied up. The sock is a pattern that I've basically made up myself by looking at another pattern; I could have bought the pattern, but it was easy enough to reverse engineer, and I would have had to make adjustments to it anyway because it's written for a larger gauge. The biased fabric on the front of the sock definitely makes for snug fit and a little difficulty getting it on over my heel, but it does fit once it's on. I'll be casting on its mate soon.

The Pigskin Party officially kicked off yesterday, so I started two new projects. The first is a spinning project, one that's a big contrast to the spin I just finished.

These two batts were a door prize that I won at SSK last year. They're from Bricolage Studios and called Luna Moth, and they're a blend of Rambouillet, mohair, CVM, tussah silk, and silk noil. Each batt is 2.5 ounces, so I figured I'd spin each one on its own bobbin and ply them together. I started spinning the first batt yesterday and got about halfway through it. I've split up the batt so that it's kind of being spun in a gradient of green to pink, though there's quite a lot of blending. I'm hoping that the finished yarn will have the same subtle color shift.

This spin is a departure from what I've been doing all summer because, for one thing, I'm using a woolen prep rather than worsted. And though I'm still using generally my same short forward draw, with this prep and the chunky bits of silk noil in it, it's pretty much impossible to get an even, smooth single. I'll admit that I am pulling out some of those chunky bits when they're excessively clumpy and/or rough, but I'm generally letting this yarn be more textured.

I also cast on a new knitting project last night, and I'm doing some lace knitting for the first time in a long time.

 

I only just found out recently that my college roommate (who was also my maid of honor in my wedding) had a baby over the summer, her second daughter. I knit her first daughter a lace blanket five years ago that was apparently much loved, so I decided to do the same for the second. As with the first one, I've adapted a triangle lace shawl to be a square, using thicker yarn and larger needles to up-size the lace. I'm using this free pattern (Ravelry link) with -- don't be shocked! -- Caron Blossom Cakes, a 61% cotton/39% acrylic yarn purchased at Michaels. My top priority when I knit for babies is to make sure that what I make is easy to care for, and the big box store acrylic blends have come a long way. I wanted this to be something my friend could toss in the washer and dryer without having to worry about messing it up, and having felt this yarn before (my mother just used it to make blankets for my nephew and expected niece), I can say that it's very nice. Mo also picked up some of this yarn to make herself a blanket.

After I post this, I'm going to attempt a run (always a challenge after donating blood), and if my inbox cooperates, I'm hoping to do a little cleaning and laundry. Today is my sister-in-law's birthday, so she and my brother are going out to celebrate and my parents are babysitting my nephew, so dinner will be just the three of us. At some point this weekend, I'm hoping to make it over to A Fair in the Park -- the potter who made my favorite coffee mug will be there, and I'd really love to pick up another piece or two (I missed out on the fair last year because I had COVID).

I hope you have a restful, enjoyable weekend full of the things you enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. That baby hat is just so adorable! I love the little top knot touch... so cute! (but yes, pre-tying it is a rather rude look!) Have a great weekend and I hope you find something fun at the art fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got great projects off the needles and on! I look forward to seeing that lace blanket grow. Have a great weekend and I do hope you get to the Fair in the Park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to finish the baby hat and I'm excited to see the progress with your blanket. And your spinning! Lovely, as usual :)

    I hope your run went well, your dinner is nice and quiet, and you make it to the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe that last photo is Caron. The colorway is gorgeous! Love the 'rude' baby hat. LOL I make one that's very similar and I can't believe my dirty mind never made the connection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that new sock! I hope you are having a great and relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice variety of projects. The sock looks great and so does the little hat. Enjoy the spinning.

    ReplyDelete