Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Definitely Fraternal

As I predicted, my handspun socks are moving along very quickly (or at least much more quickly than the last two pairs did). I finished the first sock last night and promptly cast on for the second this morning. I knew going into this pair that there would be a fair amount of black in the socks (really, what did I expect from a colorway called Death?), but I did not think that there would be such a stark contrast between the two socks. It seems that one sock is nearly all black and dull and the other one will have all the fun colors in it. Such is the nature of knitting with handspun, I guess.


I doubt I will finish up the second sock by the weekend, so these will likely be coming with me to Florida, where I expect they will be completed in due course.

In the past couple of days, I have pulled out my Evenlight again, and suddenly it seems be knitting up a lot faster than it was before. I think I have just a few rows left to knit before I reach the target length for the body at which I am to start the ribbing at the bottom. That ribbing is only supposed to be about four inches or so, so that should be relatively quick to knit.


While I'm very pleased with how the sweater is knitting up, I'm starting to get a little worried about the amount of yarn I have leftover to knit the two sleeves and the collar. The pattern says I need 1050 yards and I have almost 200 yards more than that, but the balls of yarn are starting to get quite small. I suppose if need be, I could always undo part of the ribbing at the bottom of the body and use that if I need to, because I'd hate to have to buy another 600+-yard skein that might or might not match the dyelot of the two I'm using.

Tonight's first order of business before I get to the sweater knitting, however, is to finish plying up the Polwarth. I have just a little bit left to ply and then the whole huge bobbin to skein up and wash. I want to make sure I have time to let it dry thoroughly. Assuming my yardage is enough for what I have planned, I'll need to wind it up so it's ready to knit and perhaps even swatch before we leave for vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment