Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2017

It All Looks the Same

Spinning undyed fiber (and blogging about it) can get a little frustrating. Don't get me wrong -- I really like spinning undyed fibers. There's something very zen about it. All the same, it gets really hard to look like I'm making any progress in my spinning when all the bobbin shots look the same. I'm finally on my third and final bobbin of cream Corriedale singles, with the end in sight, but it looks pretty much like the first and second bobbin. So here's a shot of all three, for proof that I have actually spun up nearly all the fiber:


This has been a good project to work on while I've been working through my backlog of video podcasts (I generally watch them on my laptop while I spin, and as I was away from my wheels for two weeks, I didn't watch in that time and they piled up). Because I'm not having to manage color at all with this spin, I can pretty much go on autopilot with it. At this point, I've got about an arm's length of fiber left to spin, which I think should probably take me in the neighborhood of two hours or so to get through. I'm hoping I can find that time this evening and tomorrow, when we'll all be home, so that I can ply a little later in the week and get started on the colored fiber that will go with this.

I think it might be good for me to alternated dyed fiber with naturally colored fiber this year. I don't have a huge stash of undyed fiber, but I do have two fleeces that would be good to finally spin (one is even all prepped and already divided into 2 oz. bundles).

Thank you to those of you who expressed interest in buying my handspun! I wanted to let you know that I have started the process of opening an Etsy shop. I've got a shop name reserved, and I've ordered mailers and a pop-up lightbox, so now I just need to find some time to take photos and set up the listings. I'm hoping to have it up in the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment