Pages

Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Transitions

We've started a new month, and things seem to finally be making a transition to spring. Though the last two days have felt decidedly wintery (on Sunday, we actually had light snow showers and flurries all day), the days are getting lighter and longer, the birds are getting noisier, and I can see things growing and greening up outside. All our spring flowers (tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils) are up and starting to bud; one overachieving hyacinth is already blooming, though the buds are very close to the ground. Our lilac bushes have the beginnings of small leaves, and there is a lot of new growth on our rose bushes. As if these indications weren't enough to announce the arrival of spring, my allergies have started acting up. Now, if we could just get our temperatures where they usually are this time of year, I'd be really happy!

The transition in the season also seems to be mirrored by some transitions in my knitting. Over the weekend, I finished my Zest Wishes socks, just squeaking them in by the end of the month.


I knit these toe up, using the Fish Lips Kiss Heel but then doing my own thing as I knit up the leg. As you can see from this photo, I have rather shapely calves, so I did a number of increases as the socks got taller. I probably could have made these another inch or two taller, but I didn't feel like doing any more calf shaping and the legs were already at least 9 inches tall (I still need to measure them to get the final length), so there's still some yarn leftover. Thanks to the use of the contrasting mini skein for heels and toes, these ended up using a little more than 100 g of yarn, and I was quite tickled that the amount used equaled 412 yards. (Those of you who are local will know the significance of that number!)

Meanwhile, the end is in sight -- for real this time! -- on my Floozy cardigan. Last night I finished the second sleeve.


All that remains between me and a finished sweater is the button bands, which I'll tackle tonight. I'm guessing it will take me two or three evenings to finish; it really all depends on how quickly I can get Rainbow to bed and turn my attention to my knitting. Perhaps I'm overestimating how quickly this knitting will get done, but I'm reasonably certain I'll be done with it by the weekend at some point. I still have to figure out the button situation; I may have some in my stash that will work, but otherwise I'll likely have to order some online. As long as the knitting is done, I won't be stressed about buttons, that's for sure!

I needed a new lunchtime project after finishing up the socks, so yesterday I cast on for a Sockhead Cowl using a skein of extremely bright yarn that's been patiently waiting in my stash for more than a year. I haven't gotten a ton knit yet, but already I am completely in love with it.


I haven't edited this photo at all; the colors really are that bright. This is more Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in a colorway called Once Upon a Stained Glass Window; it was inspired by a stained glass window in the building where Indie Knit & Spin used to be held. There are seven stripes in the sequence, and each stripe is getting me a little more than one round on the cowl. I really love how this is knitting up, and I'm also really glad I decided to use this skein for something that will be visible when I wear it and not hidden in my shoes. The knitting itself is perfect for work right now, too, as it's mostly mindless and is the perfect way to de-stress during my lunch break.

3 comments:

  1. Those socks are great and so is your Floozy; I really LOVE the yarn you chose for your Sockhead Cowl! I looked for it on FDW's website and ravelry but no luck, but I'll be enjoying all those wonderful colors vicariously through yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz T2:59 PM

    Floozy has flown since it made the dedicated time list! And I have no doubt you will be sporting it very soon. I do love the bright cowl colors! Very happy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Bonny! That yarn for your Sockhead Cowl is just awesome! And, I think your Floozy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete