Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Thank Goodness It's ... Thursday?

This has been one of those weeks that seems to have gone on forever. Today I woke up thinking surely it must be Friday already. Sadly, it is not, but at least we only have one more day to go.

After all the finishing that happened over last weekend, I feel like I have been slacking a bit this week and haven't gotten a lot accomplished. Our summer schedule is more relaxed, in that Rainbow can sleep in during the week because camp starts later than school and thus can go to bed a little later, but that also results in less crafting time for me. Typically I sneak in a bit of knitting when I get to the office, before the workday officially begins, but during the summer I get into work a bit late after dropping her off at the bus to camp. Likewise, because she's going to bed a bit later, I also don't sit down in the evening until about 8:30, so my evening crafting time is diminished as well. So progress is slow but steady.

During my lunch breaks this week, I've been working on the sample socks for the new sock pattern using some Knit Picks Felici. I think I like how the stitch pattern works up in a self-striping yarn even better than in a semisolid! I've still got a ways to go, but at least with a shortie sock the knitting time is much less than a typical sock -- and I'm using larger-than-usual needles for me (US 1/2.25 mm), which is adding to the speed.


I also cast on a much bigger project last night. Can you guess what it is?


These three or so rounds of knitting, believe it or not, are the start of my Rhinebeck sweater! I spent several hours last weekend trying to get sweater math to work out for a top-down pullover, and after a lot of pulling my hair out, I realized it might be easier to just work it bottom up. So that's what I'm doing. I'm still not 100% sure how the yoke will work out, but I figure that going bottom up will at least allow me to get the easy knitting done while I work on that. I'm already behind schedule (granted, it's my own schedule), so I see no harm in getting started on what I can do now.

As it's Thursday, I think it's time for a Summer Book Bingo check-in.


I finished a book yesterday and achieved another bingo, though I think the category I put it in might be a bit of a stretch (but that's allowed as long as we make it work, right?). The book is The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls, which I've forced into the category of "Epistolary." Though the whole thing isn't written in letters, one of the main character's narratives is told almost entirely in letters, so I thought that was close enough to count. It was an okay read -- pretty well written but also pretty depressing, and throughout the book I felt like there was something I was missing or not understanding that I expected to be explained in the end. There was closure of a sort in the final section, but I wasn't entirely satisfied in that I still didn't feel like I got the whole story. It was a library book, so I'm not sweating it too much. I'm now reading The Lost Girls of Paris, also from the library, and my hold came up as I was reading the last book, so I'm feeling a time crunch to get it done (especially because the library app oh so helpfully tells you how many people are waiting to read it!).

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your new design (love the stripes!), your Rhinebeck sweater, and your Book Bingo! Even with your reduced crafting time, it seems like you are making plenty of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great knitting! And, I am excited to see your Rhinebeck Sweater take shape!

    And, go you on those bingos! WOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz T.2:40 PM

    Can’t wait to see the new sweater.... I like the color that you are making it in. And I have to agree - you accomplish much more in less time than I can in regular time!

    ReplyDelete