Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2020

That'll Do

Yesterday one of my daily goals was to ply up the merino I'd been spinning to serve as my contrast color for my Rambouillet fleece spin. I was a bit nervous about matching the grist, so I was anxious to finish the skein and wash it to see if it would work. I should have trusted myself -- it seems like it'll work just fine!


It's a traditional three-ply yarn, and I spun the singles just a tad thicker than I normally would for my default yarn. That was the main challenge, but I think I did okay in the long run. It looks good next to the Rambo:


And a side-by-side comparison shows that the thickness is pretty spot on:


I ended up with approximately 260 yards, which is a bit less than I'd hoped for, though my finished skein seemed like it was a bit light at 100 g (the fiber was labeled 4 oz., which is about 113 g, and the tiny bit of leftover singles I had probably didn't weigh enough to make up the difference). That really doesn't matter in the long run, though, as I should have plenty for the sweater it's intended for and still have some leftover. It's also another braid of fiber that's been converted to yarn in less than a week and another 950 meters toward my Stash Dash total, putting me at 9,574 m at the moment. I've upped my goal to 15K or higher, and frankly with the projects I have going right now, I don't think that's at all inconceivable.

The next spin is ready to go: the April 2020 Southern Cross Fibre club shipment, Hope Springs, on grey Corriedale:


I'm going to spin another chain-plied fingering weight, so I've split the fiber into four vertical strips for striping. I have a three-day online conference to attend this week, which means I'll be doing a lot of listening to speakers, so I expect this'll go fairly quickly. The spinning mojo isn't showing any signs of slowing down!

5 comments:

  1. That new yarn is really pretty. I like the variation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still having a ball watching your spinning ... and happily still not having any desire to try it myself ;-) I do love the colors in your latest fiber and look forward to seeing it become yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am swooning. That new yarn is totally gorgeous. I can't wait to see everything you manage to spin this week during your conference. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing how those lovely skeins look knit together in the sweater, and excited about seeing what Hope Springs looks like when spun. I love those colors (and the name)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That contrasting skein is so pretty. I love the two colors together. I'm anxious to see how the next project comes together. You have a great eye for color.

    ReplyDelete