Pages

Friday, November 10, 2023

TGIF Indeed!

It's been a week, and I'm quite happy to see Friday come. The Mister was traveling at the beginning of the week, Mo's been at school late every evening for play rehearsal, and I've had an endless parade of meetings -- five of them just yesterday! The other two members of my family both have the sniffles, and we're all tired, so I think we will have a very low-key weekend.

Thankfully all of my meetings yesterday were on Teams or Zoom, so I was able to craft my way through them. I was able to finish plying the singles I spun earlier in the week, and the skein was all dry this morning.

This was April's Southern Cross Fibre club shipment, a colorway called Bali on Merino X Corriedale top. I split the fiber in half lengthwise and then split each half in half again so I had four long, narrow strips. I plied from both ends of the skein with only one mishap: Some of the singles being pulled from the inside got so tangled that I just broke off the problem area and discarded it. I don't think it was more than a couple of yards' worth of singles, so I'm not too concerned about it. The finished yarn did not really bloom at all when I washed it, and it's mostly fingering weight, though there are some spots that are closer to sport and some that are closer to lace. It's not particularly soft and in fact is rather crunchy, but I do like the colors.


Because there were really only three colors in the fiber -- a royal blue, a light blue, and a silvery gray -- there's a mix of solid sections and barber-poled sections in the finished yarn. I don't have anything in particular in mind for this skein, so it'll just get stored away for the time being.

I'm itching to start another skein (particularly as my most recent club shipment just showed up this week), but I'm really trying to focus on my shawl sample. I've just added in the second contrast color, which is ever so slightly darker:

The two most recent contrast stripes are with the second color in the gradient -- see how the pink is just a little more intense? I'm hoping I can really focus on this shawl over the next couple of days and make some considerable progress.

Mo is off from school today (it's the end of the trimester, so it's an in-service day for teachers to wrap up their grading), but she has a work session for her Future City team this morning, so I've got to run shortly to drop her off. The Mister has also decided to work from home. I will be encouraging them both to rest and drink plenty of fluids so we can get these sniffles out of the house. Mo has a long day of play rehearsal tomorrow (the performances are at the end of next week), but we otherwise have nothing planned this weekend, and that's just fine with me!

I hope you have something enjoyable planned for the next couple of days, whether that's going out and doing stuff or just staying in and relaxing!

5 comments:

  1. Your handspun does have beautiful colors and thank you for concentrating on that shawl! I know it will be a while before you release the pattern but I'm excited. hope your whole family has a restful, low-key weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A restful weekend sounds like a very good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you all enjoyed a restful weekend, and feeling ready for the week ahead! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shawl is such a great way to use gradiants and really showcase the subtle deepening of the colors. I hope everyone is feeling all better now that Monday has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shawl is going to be stunning! I can't wait to see those colors subtly change! (and I hope everyone had a very restful weekend and that you are all feeling better this morning!)

    ReplyDelete