Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Unraveled, Week 48/2023

It's Wednesday already? Time to check in with Kat and the Unravelers!

My primary focus this week has been my current spinning project, which I'm trying to finish up before the end of the month (for no particular reason other than having a deadline). As of yesterday morning, I had two bobbins of singles complete and a third started:

My final piece of fiber to be spun is currently in progress, and on today's to-do list is finishing it so I can start plying. Aside from wanting to finish up this project, I also have another one I'd like to get to before we leave for vacation:

This is my Holiday Countdown set from Fibernymph Dye Works. Each of those little bags holds 10 g of fiber. It's a Lord of the Rings theme this year (the tag reads "Samwise Gamgee's Po-tay-toes!"), and I'm still deciding how to spin it. One big skein that's chain-plied? Two bobbins plied together? Three bobbins plied together? 24 mini skeins? I'll decide in the next couple of days, but if you feel strongly about any particular option, let me know.

I've not been doing very much knitting or crochet recently, but I did start a new project because I needed something to take to Thanksgiving dinner that wasn't one of the gifts I'm working on (both recipients were there), so I started a charity hat using some leftovers and mini skeins:

This is the start of L'Indispensable (Ravelry link), which has a very clever double-knit brim. I'm planning to add this to the charity hat pile, so I'm knitting the second-largest size. It looks rather small at the moment, but I think that's because it starts with a tubular cast-on and I haven't yet removed the waste yarn.

Reading has been very good this past week, though I've only finished one book -- but it was a 5-star read!

I bought Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted several weeks ago when it was Kindle deal because it had been on my TBR list for a while. I won't say this is an easy book to read because it's a memoir of a rather harrowing cancer diagnosis and treatment, but the writing is absolutely beautiful. Suleika Jaoud was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after graduating from college, just when she thought her adult life was starting, and this memoir deals both with her treatment and with her struggle to figure out how to live in the aftermath of it. What she captures so well in her story is the beauty of the friendships she formed with other patients, the kindness of strangers, and the way our stories can connect us with others. This book is brutally honest about what it's like to have cancer, but it was a very worthwhile read for me and I highly recommend it.

Today I'm hoping to finish listening to The Nix (I've got about 2 hours and 45 minutes left!), and I've also dragged out Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone, which I started way back in March and haven't picked up in months but which I'd like to finish before the end of the year if I can.

What are you making and reading this week?

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've set yourself a deadline for that spin because I'm anxious to see it spun and plied! I don't have opinions about the FDW fiber, but wonder how you can keep yourself from opening all of those mysterious packages. I'm reading something frivolous now so maybe Between Two Kingdoms might be a good next book. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that Holiday Countdown Set is adorable! I can't wait to see all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord of the Rings mini set! I am swooning but also green with envy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bag of fiber will be a fun way to end the year with spinning! I really loved The Nix and I hope you will share your thoughts on it. Go Tell The Bees is loooooong. But worth it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but I'm curious to see the fibers (and see what you do with them). That is one lovely charity hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My choice for the new spin would to do each as a mini skein. I would want to see the colors all by themselves. Whichever way you go, it is bound to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hat pattern looks like a nice one. I am such a cautious person, I think I'd have to see the colors before I decided how to spin them - although part of the fun of a count-down calendar is the surprise element.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hat pattern does look warm! I am eagerly anticipating Hipstrings Base 12 Spin... I am going to spin them as the roll of the dice tells me (that is after I've done some math conversion from base 10 to 12! lol) I like the randomness of a December spin... and I have knit the last 2 Base 12 spins into two of my favorite Hitchhikers... which is my plan for this year's spin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That book has been on my radar, but I tabled it when our 46-yr-old friend was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. I knew it'd just be too much emotion for me (even though I understand it's loaded with the positive!). I think I can put it back on my list now...b/c...after 7 mos., almost to the day of diagnosis, our friend is cancer-free! (Her 19-yr-old son was a perfect bone marrow match. Made all the difference in the world.)
    And happy spinning to you! What a fun bundle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect theme for a countdown spin! I can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'm really interested in that hat pattern, Sarah. It looks like a perfect hat for my son. But . . . I've never heard of "double stockinette rib" before. And it kinda freaks me out just thinking about it. ;-) Between Two Kingdoms is one of the best books I've read this year. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read that book a month or two ago. Imagine when I figured out that "Jon" was Jon Batiste, the musician who swept the Grammies last year. Netflix debuted a movie about him last -- Symphony. I plan to watch it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about the connection before I read the book, but it was still nice to read about their love story!

      Delete