Pages

Friday, March 29, 2024

Home Again

Even though I didn't sleep particularly well, it was good to wake up in my own bed this morning. We got in last night a little after 9. Our flight was a little delayed, but I guess we made up some time in the air because we landed only about 20 minutes late. Mo and I managed to get seats in the fourth row of the plane, so we got off quickly and were at baggage claim before our bags. My mother had very nicely arranged a car service for us to take us home, and a nice benefit of arriving in the evening is that there was little traffic on the way home. If it were not a very busy time at work, I would have planned to take today off, but I've got a bunch of stuff to do today. At least I can do it from the comfort of home!

Yesterday was a busy day (I worked in the morning, then had to do a last load of laundry and back), but I did fit in some knitting. I'm all ready for theater knitting tomorrow, with one sock done and one through the gusset decreases:

I have a fair amount of foot to knit during the show, provided I'm not up and dancing for too much of it. Getting the whole sock done by tomorrow night plus blocked and dry to give to my sister-in-law by Sunday might be a bit of a stretch, but I'll try my best!

Today is just a normal day, though this evening we're going to Friday night services at our synagogue for the formal installation of our congregation's first-ever cantor. A pretty big crowd is expected, so it should be a nice event. And other than the show tomorrow, we have plans to have brunch with some friends and our siblings (and their kids) on Sunday. If you're celebrating Easter this weekend, I hope it's a lovely day! 

I'll leave you with a little bit of eye candy, something you will likely only see in the southeast, where there's frequently humid weather. I don't know if this is a thing elsewhere, but in the development where my parents have their house, where many people are only in residence part of the year, people don't throw out orchids when they leave town but instead tie them to trees in their yards. There's enough moisture in the air to keep the plants alive, and over time they get attached to the trees. My parents tried this for the first time last year, and though their tying left a lot to be desired (because the orchid fell down almost to the ground), it seems to have worked, and when I came back from a very hot and humid run on Wednesday, I discovered it was blooming:

9 comments:

  1. Welcome home; I hope you have an easy Friday. John traveled a lot for business and always had a car service. He said it made things much easier so we started using one when we traveled. It's a real treat to be dropped off easily at departures and then see the driver waiting for you when you get off the plane!
    I always enjoyed the flowers when we lived in FL and was thrilled to live in an apartment with huge poinsettia bushes. That orchid is a really lovely sight (and maybe the only positive thing I can say about humidity)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!! Have a fantastic (and restful!!) weekend! That orchid though... my goodness, what a delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to be getting a cantor! I'm so proud of your parents' little orchid, what a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those socks Sarah! What an interesting thing to do with orchids and since they are tropical plants, I imagine they really do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun to walk around the neighborhood and see so many different orchids -- some people have a veritable botanical garden in their front yards!

      Delete
  5. I hope your work Friday was an easy one and that you are now in weekend mode. I've never heard of doing that with orchids, but it makes sense and how pretty! I always used a car service when traveling for work and then started using one for personal travel as well. Getting to the Philadelphia airport is a real PITA...and getting back home is no picnic either. Nice to have someone else do the driving and with the cost of parking at the airport, it makes sense!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home! I've never seen that done with orchids, that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful orchid. I have never heard of that being done but of course I don't live in the southeast. I hope the weekend provided you with some time to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating about the Orchid. I've given away several that looked dead to a local lady. She revives them in her conservatory, she's absolutely passionate about them. She instructed me on pruning mine to flower at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete