Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Unraveled, Week 12/2024

I have to admit that I woke up this morning very confused about what day it was (I blame the strange dreams I was having overnight), but I am now certain that it's Wednesday, which means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers!

I've been very focused on my Hitchhiker the past couple of days, as it's simple enough that I can work on it while I'm in a meeting or reading many, many pages of names of graduating students (the longest list I've had so far was 42 pages). I'm now at 36 teeth and can tell that I've reached the last of the three strips of fiber (if you look closely, you'll see two sections where there's a small bit of orange between reds; that's where the strips of fiber were joined when I spun the singles).

I'm definitely in the home stretch on this shawl and feel pretty confident that I will finish it before we go home. My skein of yarn weighed 119 g when I started, and I'm now down to 28 remaining. I'm hoping I can get to 42 teeth, but it's really not that important.

Reading has been quite good this week, even though I haven't had as much time for it as I'd like the past couple of days. I've finished two books.

Disappearing Earth is one I've had on my TBR for a while and happened to find available from the library when I needed a new audiobook. This book has a really interesting structure. It takes place over the course of the year, with each month as its own chapter, on Russia's remote Kamchatka peninsula. It opens with the abduction of two young girls, and each chapter that follows is almost a short story focused on a different woman. Initially there doesn't seem to be a connection between the characters, but all of them are tangentially related in some way and all are tied together by the common struggles of women everywhere -- motherhood, strained relationships, work, etc. There's also quite a lot of interesting study of issues more unique to the location, such as the underlying tension between native peoples and Russians, frustrations with capitalism versus the more familiar former Soviet system, and the impacts of climate change. I really enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars -- and I'm looking forward to reading an ARC of the author's new book.

I went even further into back list for my other finish with Brideshead Revisited, which I wanted to read before it's discussed on Novel Pairings later this month. I'd never read it and though I know I'd seen one of the movie versions years ago, I remember being distracted while watching and thus not making much sense of the film. This book was a bit of a slow start for me, but I was hooked about halfway through. I'll admit as a late-20th-century American woman, a lot of terminology about Oxford was lost on me, but I don't think it really mattered all that much in the long run. The writing is excellent, and it was a nice break to read something that is set at least partially during a World War that isn't really about the war at all. I gave it 4 stars as well.
I'm currently reading The Berry Pickers, which I only started yesterday but am already about a third of the way through and am really enjoying. I don't imagine it will take me very long to finish. In addition to the ARC of Julia Phillips's new book, I also have another one waiting for me by Elif Shafak that sounds really intriguing.

What are you making and reading this week?

14 comments:

  1. I am having "I am not knitting a Hitchhiker Envy" right now! That is one stunning Hitchhiker! I just finished Philips new book... and wow, just wow! I think you will like it a lot! (and I love when the author just throws me for a loop! She did!!) I am adding The Berry Pickers to my TBR queue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Hitchhiker is coming along great! Brideshead Revisited has been on my list for a long time—I'm a sucker for both war novels and pre-Stonewall queer novels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have decided to cast on a new sweater today to see if it will help me climb out of my knitting funk. I am currently listening to The Great Divide. Enjoy your work-cation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Hitchhiker is looking wonderful! And I can't imagine reading all of those names on all of those pages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Hitchhiker is fabulous Sarah. What gorgeous colors in it. Disappearing Earth - I think that's on my list...maybe I will listen once I finish my current audio book. I'm liking The Berry Pickers a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The structure of Disappearing Earth sounds like one I'd like a lot. Will see if my library has it.
    Sounds like you may be able to wrap that gorgeous Hitchhiker around you for the flight home! (But let's not think about that NOW.)
    Keep enjoying. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Hitchhicker Shawl is looking good, I love the colourway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Hitchhiker is beautiful Sarah!! Now I want to cast on one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Having knit several now, I understand why some people knit many of them -- they are so easy once you get the hang of the pattern and so adaptable to any yarn!

      Delete
  9. Your Hitchhiker is really good looking and you are moving along quickly! I love thinking about "unsung heroes" and you are definitely one for checking all of the names of those graduating. Now when family and friends are checking the program, they can thank you for all of your hard work making sure their garduates' names are spelled correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a pretty color combo on your Hitchhiker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Hitchhiker is lovely -- is that your handspun? Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is indeed handspun -- the most recent skein I've finished.

      Delete
  12. The hitchhiker is coming along. I'm glad you are enjoying your time in Florida. Once again, my computer was in the shop for overheating.

    ReplyDelete