Pages

Friday, June 08, 2007

The Sixth Sock

Ladies and gents, we have a completed sock:

Finished last night during happy hour, its mate was started right away and is currently several inches into the foot. I fully expect to finish it tomorrow during our looooong day of driving home.

My favorite part about this sock, other than the colors? The Eye of Partridge heel. Look at how fetching it is:

An unfortunate incident occurred while knitting the leg of the second sock of this pair. I'd noticed that the tip of my left index finger had been getting dried out, what with all the handling of wool this past week, and in combination with directing the sharp points of my Knit Picks circs, I suffered a knitting-related injury -- a hole in my finger. The skin literally split open, much like a deep paper cut. You can all thank my poor abilities as a photographer for the fact that there isn't a picture of said injury posted here, because for the life of me I couldn't get the finger to get in focus. You'll be happy to hear, however, that I've quickly adjusted to having a bandaid on the finger and am now knitting as fast as ever.

Today being our last day in Hilton Head, I persuaded the group to let me stop at a yarn store in between stops this afternoon. I'd found two stores in my web searches, although one was a needlepoint store that also sold some yarn. We went to the other, a little place called the Courtyard that is also a used book store. J and I ducked in very briefly, and it did not take long to make some selections. There wasn't much in the way of yarn to choose from -- some Rowan, some Louisa Harding, some Plymouth, and only about two sparsely populated shelves of sock yarn -- but then I wouldn't have expected mass quantities of wool in a climate such as this. I, of course, went only for the sock yarn and was happy to add some that hasn't made it into my stash yet.

If you are a reader of Brooklyn Tweed, then you're probably familiar with his yarn portraits. I'm no photographer, by any stretch of the imagination, but I call this one "Yarn on Vacation":

Here's a close-up of what I picked up -- two skeins of Regia Bamboo in a blue/gray colorway and two skeins of Tofutsies (no, I haven't tried it yet, and I know I'm probably the last to the party), one in berry shades of pinks and magentas and one in a colorway very much likethat of the socks I'm currently knitting. And you know what? One of these skeins of Tofutsies could be yours! I'm offering up one of them as a prize for one of the participants in the contest, to be determined by random selection. And I'm still planning on going to the big sale at my LYS on Sunday, where I may pick up a few more fibery prizes.


As we are heading out bright and early (at 6 am!) tomorrow, this will be my last post from Hilton Head. Depending on what time we get home and how exhausted we are, I will post the final number of completed socks either tomorrow night or on Sunday. Either way, I'll be sure to lay them all out and take a picture once we get home so that you can be assured I haven't snuck in any extra knitting time; J will vouch for the final count's accuracy and honesty.

The big yarn sale starts at 7 am on Sunday. What time do you think I should get there? Do you think there will actually be people there at 7?

6 comments:

  1. Your sock yarn looks amazing with the eye of partridge heel! I'm sorry about your finger. I actually was having weird pains in my left index finger, but luckily no holes (yet!). Have fun at the yarn sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous that you will be going to the Knit One yarn sale (I live north of Pittsburgh, so Knit One is one of my favorite stores). The idea of all the yarn in the place on sale makes me wish I had money to spend. I was also wondering if anyone would show up that early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a HOLE in your finger? That sounds...painful! Buying yarn on vacation is fun because it acts like a little postcard.

    I love eye of partridge heels! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten a finger hole from my knit picks before too! But it was winter... and my skin was very very dry. ;) That bandaid almost helps though! You can really push them now!

    You're not last. My LYS doesn't carry Tofutsies and I've yet to order any. So you're in good company. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it was the Super Bowl sale at my now defunct quilting store here, people would be in line by 5 for a 7 am open.

    I have never attended a BIG knit store sale, but people get nutty about this stuff.

    Hope you had a fun trip and safe drive home. I'm typin from the middle of a great big empty at the moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Monica and I work for the website www.shopyarn.com. We have a database of stores for needlepointers, knitters, crocheters, weavers and spinners. I noticed that you mentioned a needlepoint store and a yarn store and I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the store so that we can keep our site updated.

    My e-mail address is monica@directionpress.com

    Thank you,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete