Pages

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008: Year of the Baby

In a year that is bound to see a great deal of knitting for many babies (none of them my own, to The Mister's great relief), it is only fitting that this should be the first Finished Object of 2008:



Pattern: cardigan from the Pea Pod Baby Set by Kate Gilbert
Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport (60% pima cotton, 40% modal), colorway Green Apple, approximately three skeins (150 grams/330 yards)
Needles: one 24" US 5 (3.75 mm) Addi Turbo circular
Started/Completed: December 24, 2007/January 1, 2008
Mods: grafted rather than sewed shoulder seams; picked up an additional 20 sts for the collar
Recipient: baby Macedonia

This cardigan turned out to be just as adorable -- but much faster -- than the first one. Because the parents-to-be are in the dark about the sex of the little one (who is due to arrive this month), I chose a cheerful green color that will do for a boy or a girl. The buttons likewise are a very gender-neutral pearlized white.

The experience knitting this sweater for a second time couldn't have been more pleasurable. Having knit the sweater once before, I knew the pattern well and was able to dive right in without having to think through any particular parts. I also was able to conserve yarn by planning ahead and using longer cast on and bind off tails that could be used for seaming.

I'm still undecided about making the matching hat. There's plenty of yarn left (nearly two full skeins), but I just wasn't completely happy with the first attempt. I may just use the leftover yarn and do an Umbilical Cord hat or a simple baby beanie. Thoughts, oh wise readers?

Now that this baby's knitting is done, up next are the coordinating Baby Surprise Jackets for our cousins' triplets, who we're hoping won't arrive until the end of the month at the very earliest. I am not in a great hurry to finish all three sweaters in time for their birth, because I know it will likely be a while before they're big enough to wear them, but I have a feeling that knitting the same pattern three times in a row is going to get a bit too monotonous for me, so I'm planning on breaking up the series with the other two baby sweaters left to knit. If I can have all five done by March, I'll be happy -- and then I can return to knitting big people sweaters.

Tonight is knitting with the Hurricane Knitters and the long-awaited return of Jenn's dpn. The snow won't stop us this time!

10 comments:

  1. That sweater is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just too cute!

    Hmmm...hat wise it could go either way. Since you enjoyed the sweater more the second time around, the same could go for the hat. Then again, given all the baby things you've got coming up, it might be nice to just whip out a cute little beanie and have it be done.

    Well, I'm just tons of help, aren't I. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should so teach a class on this sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:53 AM

    Having made the hat, I say you should make the hat! However, I do understand the pickle you're in about making it!

    Great seeing you last night...and you did so well spinning!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sweater is ADORABLE. It's in my queue, despite the fact that I don't know any appropriately sized babies to knit it for. This freaks the boy out infinitely - he is sure that my biological clock is ticking, and I'm just not conscious of it yet (can you say c-r-a-z-y?) *sigh*
    I keep trying to convince relatives and friends to get preggers, but not much luck just yet!

    Thanks for the warning about colorwork. Since every new technique is my "new favorite," I'm guessing I'm in big trouble ;-)

    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe you can do 2 beanies.... one for "dad" and one for the baby? - I vote for simple hats... super beautiful little jacket - you should be proud

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the Pea Pod sweater for my Grandcarrot; now I suppose I need to make another one for his cousin, Sweet Pea. I didn't make the hat; the unanimous verdict among the mommies and aunties is that it isn't nearly cute enough. Of course, once the sweater is made up in pink, there's no telling what Her mommy will decide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:29 PM

    What a sweet sweater!

    I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you. I was sick over Christmas and let all my correspondence lapse.

    Your socks are coming along beautifully, and I'm trying to pick out what scented candles to send you.

    Hope you're having a lovely New Year!

    -Your vintage swap partner

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the perfect color for that sweater and will definitely work if they have a boy or a girl. you almost make me wish I had a baby to knit for ... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love knitting baby stuff, but no one I know is having any babies. Also I love your green socks so much that I am ordering that same color. I'll do a different pattern though don't want to be a creepy copycat! Crossing my fingers that I actually have a Wednesday off to come knit with you all.

    ReplyDelete