Pages

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Spinning Sundays

I'm usually not one for theme blog posts, but in light of the fact that not all of you spin or even have an interest in spinning, I'm going to try something new: Spinning Sundays. I'm going to try to do all my spinning-related blogging on Sunday, so that those of you who aren't remotely interested can skim for knitting content or skip the entries entirely. I won't promise that I'll have some spinning to show you every Sunday, but I'll do my best (and I'm sure my wheel will like the extra attention).

This weekend I finished a yarn that I'd been looking forward to spinning for quite some time. I hadn't wanted to start it before we moved, so the wheel was dormant for a couple weeks until it and my fiber were moved in with my parents.

Here's how it looked in roving form, as a reminder. This is Dyeing Arts Dazzling Duos, a superwash merino, in the colorway March Hare:

And here it is as yarn, a two ply somewhere between a fingering and a sport weight:

In spite of the fact that the yardage I got with this 4 oz. was a little disappointing (only about 255 yards), I'm quite proud of this yarn because of the fact that I finally achieved the tight twist and barberpoling effects I was trying for. It was also my first time spinning pure merino (as opposed to a blend). It broke several times in the beginning, but by the end of the second bobbin, I was completely comfortable. I've already started spinning up the first half of the other Dyeing Arts roving.

Ahead of our move in with my parents, I sent myself a little housewarming gift. These will be seen in the weeks ahead; both are from All Spun Up.


4.4 ounces of superwash merino


4.3 ounces of merino

8 comments:

  1. gorgeous spinning! i know how you feel about the yardage - it always feels like it HAS to be more than what you really have! and i look forward to the other two rovings - the colors are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:23 AM

    Beautiful yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that March Hare yarn. very, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:47 PM

    wow...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just delicious! You've really caught on fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo! So pretty! I love the way the colors ended up in the two-ply (did you spin longer color runs for half of it?). How do you achieve that nice tight twist without overspinning/overplying? I've been trying to figure it out :)
    I saw those on All Spun Up's Etsy site - beautiful!

    P.S. The Jaywalkers and Seamless Hybrid are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:03 AM

    I'll never skip your Spinning posts. They are fantastic! I just purchased some of the Dyeing Arts roving and I'm curious. How do you split that roving to get it to barberpole so perfectly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a spinner, but I just love the way roving looks! So soft and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete