Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

YO! Jaywalkers!

There comes a time in this knitter's life when it becomes necessary to knit another pair of Jaywalkers. They were my first socks, so in some sense I feel they are likely to be among my most frequently knit socks.

Pattern: Jaywalker by Grumperina
Yarn: Regia 4fadig Mini Ringel Color (75% wool, 25% nylon), colorway 5216, two skeins
Needles: two 12" US 1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: May 19/May 27
Mods: I used YOs instead of k f/b for the increases and eliminated the slipped stitches on the side of the instep through the foot

These were not the most pleasurable to knit, the Regia being among the scratchier sock yarns I've used, but I know they will wear well and soften nicely in the wash, so I put up with the callouses they caused for a few days. I've never been a huge fan of the knit-front-and-back increase, so I decided to try something a little different this time around. I think I might like the look of these better than the normal Jaywalkers, and they were certainly easier on the hands to knit.

This next shot is for Melissa, just so she can see that I can line up my stripes and make my socks match when I want to:


(Apologies for the weird shot -- I discovered that it's rather difficult to take a picture of your feet while sitting sideways on a hammock and not fall off.)

Thank you all for your extremely nice comments on The Mister's sweater. I actually caught him on the blog the other day reading all the comments, and he was clearly tickled by your compliments! Having knit this sweater twice now, I'm fully convinced that it's a genius pattern, and I can assure you that you haven't seen the last of the Seamless Hybrid! I may need a small break before the next one, but I'm thinking that my father will be getting one this winter and perhaps I can convince The Mister that he needs one in a brighter color, too.

I didn't want to post a photo here and risk spoiling anyone's surprise, but the May Rockin' Sock Club shipment arrived yesterday with some truly stunning yarn in it. You can see it here and here, if you like. Its arrival was icing on the cake yesterday -- we officially sold our house! I celebrated by spending most of the evening at my wheel, finishing up my first yarn in quite some time. I'll show that to you just as soon as it's dry and I can do a proper photo shoot.

I hope you are all having a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Nice work there! For the first time ever, I have two socks in progress simultaneously. I'm hoping at least one of them goes quickly! Too bad my RSC arrived while I was in OKC. It'll be there when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I peeked at somebody's RSC yarn and wow, it's gorgeous!

    I love the color combination of that Regia. I should cast on for another pair of Jaywalkers, they knit up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:59 PM

    ANOTHER PAIR!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:06 PM

    I am definitely convinced that this years sock club was better than last years. I may have to sign up for it again next year - just to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is some impressive matchy matchiness! Nice job!

    Did the YOs make the pattern more stretchy, too? That's the one thing keeping me from trying this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on selling the house. What a relief that must be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:59 AM

    I'm so excited for you that you sold your home. Congratulations!!!

    I like the modifications you made on the Jaywalkers. That may entice me to knit them again. Yours turned out amazing.

    ReplyDelete