Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

Warm Head

Cross another holiday gift off the list!

Pattern: Koolhaas by Jared Flood, Interweave Knits holiday 2007 and Knitting Daily pattern store (link)
Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted, colorway Verdes, one skein
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm) and US 8 (5.0 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: November 10/November 13
Recipient: my brother-in-law's girlfriend
Mods: none

This was one of those patterns I'd long been wanting to knit, and after kicking myself for months for not buying the IK holiday issue last year, I finally decided to just buy the darn pattern from the Knitting Daily pattern store. It was well worth it, if you ask me.

This hat was a delight to knit and only took as long as it did because I had some difficulties in reading the pattern (entirely due to user error, not the quality of the pattern). This was my work knitting, too, meaning I only knit on it about two hours each day. I didn't have any smaller circs in the sizes required, so I magic looped the whole thing and that worked just fine.

I think my favorite part of this hat is the way the decreases spiral up to the top, which isn't shown in any of the pattern photos.


Your eyes do not deceive you; this Malabrigo is indeed the same colorway as my Foliage. I thought it would be overkill to make another winter accessory for myself, so I used this second skein in my stash as a gift for my brother-in-law's girlfriend, on whom I think it will look spectacular. I have a couple other shades still in my stash, though, that are contenders to become a Koolhaas for myself!

I thought this was my last holiday knitting project, but it occurred to me after finishing it up that I didn't knit anything for my brother-in-law. The Mister suggested that he'd probably like some socks -- which figures, because he's got the biggest feet among all the men I knit for (excluding my brother, who thankfully will not wear handknit socks). I think some ankle socks may be in order.

5 comments:

  1. Looks good!

    Would you believe I've never knit with malabrigo? Or knit a hat?

    And don't complain about The Mister's feet until you knit a pair for Chris. 10" midfoot circumference, US 11.5 feet. Oh, and he'll only do solid colors. Urgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic--two favorites together!:) Although I have knit three of these hats, I now cannot find any of them, so I might have to make another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. The spirals are so pretty. I might need this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:45 PM

    Koolhaas looks good! Almost as good as those BSJ's.

    Ankle socks. Yes, absolutely. Nice thick woolly anklesocks. Maybe with reindeer dancing around them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab Koolhaas! I'm going to have to try that pattern one of these days...

    ReplyDelete