Pages

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Entangled

Finished, blocked, and modeled -- unfortunately not in natural light.

The color in these shots is much more accurate:

Pattern: Tangled Yoke Cardigan by Eunny Jang, fall 2007 Interweave Knits, size 38" bust
Yarn: Sublime Extra Fine Merino DK, color 0008, approximately 1,666 yards/656 grams (including two gauge swatches)
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm) Knit Picks Options and US 3 (3.25) and US 0 (2.0 mm) fixed circs
Started/Completed: April 24/June 5
Mods: none

I first swatched for this sweater sometime last year -- so long ago that I don't even remember when. Luckily I had the foresight to note my gauge with my chosen needles on a Post-It in my copy of the magazine, so when I was ready to cast on, I didn't have to start from scratch.

My gauge was a little off, so I decided to knit a size larger than normal in order to ensure a little bit of positive ease (I usually wear sweaters with one or more layers underneath, so I didn't want this to be tight). I gained some additional ease in blocking, as the yarn stretched ever so slightly, resulting in a very comfortable sweater that will be cozy and soft to throw over my shoulders come fall.

I think the cables pop nicely in this cabled yarn, and thankfully the puckering I saw when the sweater was fresh off the needles smoothed out a lot in blocking.

As to the buttons, they're a dark gray that came from the grab bags I bought at a big-box store months ago, and as luck would have it, I had exactly the number I needed. I think they're a perfect fit.


Overall, I'd say this sweater was a success. Perhaps I didn't do the best job of substituting yarns, but I'm happy with the result and I know this sweater will be worn many times during the colder months of the year.

And, as predicted, as soon as the last stitch was cast off and all the ends were woven in, we began experiencing temperatures in the 80s.

12 comments:

  1. great sweater! the cables are so lovely. isn't that how it works - the weather gets hot right when you finish a sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very nice and I think the buttons work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful. The cables are wonderful!
    Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I am so inspired to start mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:48 AM

    Wow, I love that! As usual, great job and so fast again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks perfect! The buttons go really well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done! And wow, those buttons are a spot on match!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Great job on the sweater! The buttons are a perfect fit for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL! You will enjoy it all NEXT winter - all done and ready to wear!

    ReplyDelete