Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Quick and Satisfying

I've been knitting a lot of little projects these days, as you might expect. First of all, there are the socks -- which you'd also expect, given all the sock yarn scraps I have lying around.

Both of these are my Baby Ribs pattern. The pair on the left came first -- seeing as Rainbow is going to be born in the middle of football and hockey season, he or she just had to have a pair of black and gold socks. They're Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, colorway Bee Stripe, knit with size 1/2.25 mm needles. On the right, some handspun superfine merino on size 0/2.0 mm needles. These have been good lunchtime knitting, as each sock takes only a couple of hours to knit.

Meanwhile, in the evenings, I've been working on another sweater. This one is a Sirdar pattern; I bought the booklet at Natural Stitches when I fell in love with the sample. There are several sweaters I want to make, but this adorable cabled cardigan with a shawl collar was the first one on the needles.


I'm using a slightly thicker yarn than called for and (shhh! don't tell anyone!) I didn't swatch, so my gauge is a little off and I'm having to wing the collar. I should have only a handful of rows left and with any luck will finish it up tonight!

I'm not quite sure what will be on the needles next, but whatever it is, it'll be coming with me to Hurricane Knitting tomorrow night, Waterworks Barnes & Noble starting at 7 p.m.

9 comments:

  1. so you're going to have a girl? that's great! socks look cute and the bolero top looks fantastic!! i love it!!!

    baby knits are so satisfying

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am THRILLED for you - I read your news the other day and forgot to say congrats! When is the due date? My daughter was born in early December and I would be happy to send some "hand me downs" to you - they outgrown things SO fast in the early weeks that everything is in great condition! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little socks are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nice thing about baby knits is that gauge or no gauge, eventually it's going to fit! (Unless it's so small that it would fit a guinea pig. Then you are out of luck.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Jenn. Gauge/size isn't that important with baby stuff. It'll fit for a while, then they'll outgrow it. And that's going to happen no matter what size you knit! Looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those baby socks, how adorable. I love the shrug too, what gorgeous yarns you are using. Yes babies do outgrow everything. I remember knitting for my daugther and her newborn baby knits lasted about 3 weeks. I think she stayed in the size 1 handknits for the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cardi is especially sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cardi is adorable but then again, so are those darling wee socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:28 PM

    I can't believe I missed your announcement post! CONGRATULATIONS! This is a precious sweater and I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete