Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Tiny Bubbles

The Mister and I would like to thank all of you for your congratulations. We couldn't be happier about Rainbow, and we're both thrilled that we've gotten to the point in the pregnancy where we can share our good news with everyone!

Now that said news is out and on the Internets, I can finally share that project I alluded to last week (but was afraid to show you because I knew someone would guess why I was knitting it).

Pattern: Little Bubbles (Ravelry link) by the Knit Picks Design Team, 6-12 month size
Yarn: Knit Picks Comfy Sport (75% pima cotton, 25% acrylic), colorways Seafoam, Planetarium, Ivory, Marlin, and Jalapeno (one skein or less each)
Needles: US 2 (2.75 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: June 7/June 19
Mods: I added extra rows to the striped section of the body for added length

In spite of the many, many color changes and resulting abundance of ends to weave in -- I joked with The Mister that only for my child would I make something with so many ends to weave in -- this was a very fun knit. The "bubbled" yoke is my favorite part because of the wonderful texture.

The yarn itself was surprisingly (or perhaps not) soft and smooth, though the high cotton content meant that it was still a little rough on my hands. Once again, I found that this Knit Picks kit vastly underestimated the yarn needed to complete the project, however. The five skeins of yarn are supposed to be enough to knit the sweater as well as a hat and a pair of booties in this particular size (and the size smaller). After finishing only the sweater, though, I'm nearly out of the dark blue color. I'm going to try to eke out the hat, but I have my doubts. If you're thinking of buying this kit -- which is really a steal at $13.99 -- you might want to think about buying an extra skein of the background color in the color scheme you select.

The Mister thinks it's a cute sweater, but he was most impressed by the inside, so I have to show you this "guts" shot. The one-row stripes do make for an attractive wrong side!

After finishing this up, I had to make a trip over to Natural Stitches to get some more baby-friendly yarn for the next round of sweaters. If there's one thing I can say about baby garments, it's that they sure do knit up quickly! I have a feeling there will be quite a few little things on this blog in the months to come.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:25 AM

    What a beautiful little sweater. Rainbow is going to be one well dressed baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have so much fun knitting baby things - actually I'm impressed that you are knitting this early on....I was so sick and tired that I had no interest until more than halfway through my pregnancies - then I made up for lost time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely sweater! so cute and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatjob! I'm agog at all the color changes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love that sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a gorgeous sweater! congratulations on the news!

    ReplyDelete