Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

SPAKALed

It is done!


Pattern: Goodale by Cecily Glowik MacDonald
Yarn: my handspun, 100% superwash merino spun from Crown Mountain Farms fiber
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm) Addi Turbos
Started/Completed: September 11/November 21
Mods: added length to the body and the sleeves and worked several more rows of garter stitch on the neckline


I did manage to finish this in time to wear it to Thanksgiving dinner; I wore it with a very thin t-shirt underneath because it was in the 60s that day! I should add that I wouldn't normally wear it with a green shirt underneath -- this is just what I happened to be wearing when the Mister was able to snap a few photos and we had some good light!

I followed the pattern pretty much as written, but I added a significant amount of length (about four inches) to the body because, as written, the sweater would have hit just about at the bottom of my ribcage. After I finished the body, I realized I had a lot of yarn leftover, so I lengthened the sleeves as well so that they'd hit just above the elbow. My final modification was to add three or four additional rows to the neckline, because I didn't want it to be too floppy.


The closure is something different: a figure eight-shaped loop of I-cord that wraps around two buttons. It works well when the sweater's on, but I have to double check that it didn't fall off when I take the sweater off and put it away.

Overall, I think this was a success. I'm not completely wild about the fit of the sweater (though that may improve with another blocking), but I love that I spun all the yarn for it and love how the fabric looks. It was a great stash-busting project, too, as I'd had that fiber in my stash for at least a couple years with no other real plans for what to do with it. This sweater is going to be a great transition piece for those days when there's just a little chill in the air and I need an extra layer.

I certainly hope the Knitmore Girls do the SPAKAL again next year -- it was a lot of fun!

3 comments:

  1. It's lovely! Me? I love all pinks so I may be biased but I think the colour and the striping are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sweater is gorgeous, and your lovely handspun is definitely the star. It looks great knitted up in this pattern. Congratulations on finishing the SPAKAL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to knit Gooddale FOREVER! It looks fantastic on you, I love the color:)

    ReplyDelete