Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

More of the Same

I'm in one of those places in my knitting life right now where it feels like I'm stuck in the middle of my projects and can't seem to move very far forward. I'm still working on the same two things: my Color Affection at home and my striped sock at work.

Despite being totally worn out from my cold last night, I did manage to put in a bit of time on the shawl. I have less than two repeats of the short-row section left to do, but the rows are so long now that it takes me a good 15-20 minutes to complete one set of short rows. I know that once I get to the border, the rows are going to take me even longer, but at least by then I'll be working with only one color, so logistically it'll be simpler.

So close to the end, and yet such long rows!
The sock now has a heel and the start of a gusset. It's not exciting knitting, to be honest, but it's good mindless stuff when my brain can't handle anything else.


I am eager to make enough headway on these projects that I feel I can reasonable cast on something new: one of Hunter Hammersen's Curls. If you haven't seen this book yet, you need to. All the patterns in this book have the same rough shape and construction, but they're knit in such a way that you can knit with any weight of yarn and with just about any amount (basically knitting until you run out). Hunter has a knitalong going in her Ravelry group, working through the patterns in order (each pattern KAL goes on for two months, with a new one starting the 15th of each month). I'm going to try to knit all of mine in handspun, mainly as an excuse to use some of it up, but I also think it will work well to maximize my use of sometimes odd yardages -- plus there's no worry about the yarn not falling neatly into traditional weight categories.

We have a three-day weekend coming up, and with this cold (which the Mister seems to have as well), I think it's only right that I spend it resting and knitting. I'm going to try to power through the rest of my Color Affection and perhaps dig through the handspun stash to get skeins lined up for Curls.

1 comment:

  1. I bought the book too. I am tempted to start it but as usual, I am trying to get my wips under control...

    ReplyDelete