Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

What Was the Big Deal?

My Color Affection is done and blocked, and now I have a confession to make: I'm not sure if I like it.

I bought the pattern years ago when it was really popular and even bought a kit to make it, but it took me long enough to get around to actually knitting it that I think it lost some of its luster for me. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun knit and it's a great big cozy thing for these frigid days of deep winter, but I can't say that this is going to be a shawl I will be wearing all the time. In truth, it makes me a bit dizzy to look at the stripes.

I guess the best I can say is that I've made it and it will get used. I can appreciate the cleverness of the design, but I'm fairly certain I'll never be making another one. I used stash yarn (well, there are some leftovers), so at least I kept with my theme for the year.

It's dark and dreary and I'm already in my jammies, so please forgive my use of Matilda to model (please also forgive the use of flash thanks to said dark):


Pattern: Color Affection by Veera Valimaki
Yarn: Miss Babs Yummy (100% superwash merino) in Peony, Impatiens, and Lilacs (< 1 skein each)
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm) ChiaoGoo Red Lace circs
Started/Completed: December 30, 2014/January 27, 2015

In other news, I have started my first Curl! If you haven't seen Hunter Hammersen's new book, Curls, then you need to go look at it now. These pieces are unusual and versatile and can be knit in any weight of yarn in any amount. I'm going to try to knit all of mine in handspun, and I started the first curl, Caesious, in some fractally spun Fat Cat Knits Polwarth from last year. I'm really enjoying how the colors are slowly transitioning (and trust me, they're better in real light).


Based on how big this piece already is (and how slowly the yarn seems to be getting used up), I have a feeling I'm going to have a pretty sizable curl when I'm done. The pattern is really fun and fast, though obviously as the repeats get larger, the rows are taking longer. I would like to finish this one up before the KAL for the next curl starts in Hunter's group (that will be mid-February), so expect to see more of this WIP in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. i felt the same way about CA. it took FOREVER and it's such an awkward shape. like big and wide and hard to drape in a flattering way. i stuck mine in a bag post-blocking and haven't touched it since. i also made stripe study and found it much less boring (although still difficult to wear).

    i finished my Caesious last night though i haven't blocked it yet and i'm not sure how to wear it either. maybe i just don't get shawls.

    ReplyDelete