Pages

Sunday, September 06, 2015

New Spinning Toys

Some new spinning tools have arrived at my house in the past several weeks but I've neglected to mention them. First of all, after hearing Jasmin of the Knitmore Girls rave about hers, I ordered a RAVPower Power Bank.


The main purpose for this battery pack is to use it with my Hansen miniSpinner so I don't have to worry about plugging it in to an outlet. This will be great if I want to take it out in public or to my LYS to spin (places where finding an outlet can be problematic or cause a tripping hazard). An added bonus is that several things can be charged at once, so I can also juice up my phone or my iPad if I need to.

The other fun things that arrived about a week and a half ago are two new Akerworks bobbins for my Lendrum. These flat-pack bobbins have ends that are 3-D printed; you get to choose from several patterns and quite a few colors. I went for Honeycomb in magenta and Sunflower in powder blue.


These bobbins are great because they pack flat (obviously) and are really lightweight, so it's easy to throw a couple in a bag with some fiber and take them out. They're a bit more expensive than a standard bobbin, but only by a few dollars. They're custom made for you, too, which means you get exactly what you want. I haven't tried these out yet, but I'll be giving them a spin for my next spinning project on the Lendrum.

Meanwhile, I'm still spinning the current project the old-fashioned way, though I'm getting very close to being done with the singles.


This is the second bobbin of Southern Cross Fibre South African super fine/silk singles; I'd estimate I have maybe two to three hours of spinning left to do to finish it. I didn't set out to spin the yarn this finely, but with 50% silk in the fiber, it just wanted to be thin, so I'm going with it. I may use the miniSpinner to ply it, in the interest of getting it done quickly, so perhaps I'll have a finished skein to show you by next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment