Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Spinning the Colors of Fall

It's been a crazy but fun weekend, so tonight's post is going to be rather short. I didn't do much knitting or spinning this weekend, so there's not much to show, but I did manage to finish spinning a bobbin of fiber. And the fiber had the perfect colors for a beautiful fall day.


You may recall this Eider wool from Southern Cross Fibre that I got a while back as a fiber club shipment. On Wednesday, while I was home trying not to think about how hungry I was, I started spinning the first braid (the one with the reds and greens in the photo above). I finished it today, despite the fact that I kept nodding off while spinning. Here's what it looked like somewhere in the middle of the process:


Although this colorway is called Lily, it reminds me very much of the fall foliage. My plan is to spin up another bobbin with the other colorway (Water) and ply them together.

As to the wool, because this is the first time I'd spun this type, I'd say it was probably as different from my last spinning project as it could be. This is definitely a much hardier wool, probably better suited toward outerwear. I did pull a fair amount of kemp out of the fiber as I was spinning. It's certainly not a luxurious spin, but I'm enjoying it. It's a very wooly wool, and sometimes I really like spinning fiber that seems like it hasn't strayed too far from the sheep.

2 comments:

  1. I love how those colors are spinning up so far! After being around spinners all last weekend, then seeing your new fiber here, I'm getting really tempted to break out my spindle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red and green braid looks like the Very Hungry Caterpillar to me. :). Can't wait to see it all spun up.

    ReplyDelete