Pages

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Pattern Release: Arrowood Shawl

We interrupt your regularly scheduled series of posts about self-publishing knitting patterns in order to publish a knitting pattern!

You have seen this shawl, in two different iterations, before, but now it's officially a real pattern. Meet the Arrowood shawl:


Arrowood is a simple, classic top-down triangle that uses knit/purl texture to create a design reminiscent of the end of an arrow. For me, it was the perfect knit when I needed something relaxing -- you need to pay a little bit of attention on some rows, but most are fairly mindless, soothing knitting.

This shawl knits up quickly using one skein of fingering weight yarn (my sample here used exactly one skein of Malabrigo Sock in Indiecita), and it will look just as great in a solid or semisolid as it does in a subtly variegated colorway. I may be a bit biased, too, but I think it looks fabulous in a gradient or a yarn with long color repeats, such as this version in my handspun:


The pattern is suitable for a beginner and uses only knit, purl, and directional increases. It's worked from the top down, starting with a garter tab, and I also give you instructions for how to make it smaller or larger to accommodate the amount of yarn you have.

I know that I pretty much have to like my own designs, but I think it says a lot about how fun this was to knit that I knit two in a row! I hope you have as much fun with it as I did.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very nice design. Sometimes simple is best, and this pattern would definitely work well with any yarn that has subtle color variations or that stripes. I think it would work especially well with a fractal handspun. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete