Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Pattern Release: Kelp Crown

Way back in May, I knit a hat with one of the last remaining skeins of Madelinetosh in my stash. I knit it for the Mad May original design contest, and it got a lot of positive feedback, but then it started to get warmer and I didn't want to think about hats and cold weather, so I put it aside for a bit. Today, I'm finally ready -- and really excited! -- to share it with you.


Kelp Crown is a slouchy hat in three sizes: Child, Adult Small, and Adult Large, to fit a head circumference of approximately 20 (22, 24) inches. It gets its name from the stitch pattern that encircles the head. The twisted stitches and bobbles reminded me of those underwater plants you see in film of scuba divers and the like -- those delicate green things that gently sway from side to side with the movement of the water. My sample used one skein of Madelinetosh tosh dk in Dr. Zhivago's Sky, but any DK or light worsted will do (basically any yarn that will knit up at 6 stitches/inch). The fit of this hat is meant to be ever so slightly snug at the brim (though you can adjust this by changing your needle size) and slouchy in length. If you prefer more of a beanie style, it's easy to subtract some length before the crown shaping.


The stitch motif in this hat is both charted and written. The stitch pattern uses twisted stitches, simple two-stitch cable twists (which can be accomplished with or without a cable needle), and small bobbles. The pattern has also been tech edited and test knit.

I'm really looking forward to wearing my hat as the weather gets cooler, and I hope you enjoy the pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment