Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Unraveled, Week 48/2022

Hard to believe that we only have four more Wednesdays left in 2022! I'm here as I am every Wednesday to link up with Kat and the Unravelers and to talk about making and reading.

Some of you might be double-checking the URL of this post because you might think you're reading Bonny's blog when you see what I've been working on this week:


Remember this Hitchhiker? I started it way back at the beginning of May. It's for Rainbow, and she picked out the yarn (a wool/silk heavy laceweight handspun). I knit on it a bunch initially and then lost steam, but right now there's a special challenge in one of the make-alongs I'm participating in to finish up a WIP, so I pulled it out again. Plus Rainbow's birthday is two weeks from tomorrow, so it'd be nice to be able to give her a finished shawl! I had 110 g of yarn to start, and I still have 40 to go -- and there are already 50 teeth on this shawl, to give you a sense of just how much knitting I've done.

Do you see that bulb safety pin in the photo above? When I held up the shawl to look at it over the weekend, I spotted what looked like a hole. I immediately panicked and thought that moths had gotten to it when I was ignoring it, but closer inspection revealed this:


Just a dropped stitch! Phew! I'm too far past where I dropped it to try to ladder it up, so when I get to a point in the remaining yarn where the colors match this section, I'll cut out a bit and secure this with a bit of duplicate stitch. The yarn is just sticky enough that the stitch didn't drop any farther, but just a bit of tugging would make it do so, so I'll be making sure it stays put.

I'm also working on another small project that in theory could have been finished in just a few days of knitting had I not decided to give the shawl all my attention. It's a baby sweater called Little Opa (Ravelry link):


You know that as of last week, I have a new nephew (and we finally get to meet him tonight!). But there's more good news -- I have another new nephew on the way! The two that have already been born belong to the Mister's brother and his wife, my brother- and sister-in-law. But my brother and his wife have been trying for a while and are now expecting a baby boy early next May. Rainbow is going to be kept very busy with all these little boys running around, that's for sure! This little sweater, which I'm knitting in a 6 month size for next fall, will be a holiday gift, and if the yarn looks familiar, it's because it's leftover from the sweater I made for my brother this past summer. I won't be lining the pockets of this tiny sweater, but I do have some buttons with a similar light blue that I may use to make this coordinate if not match.

As for reading, despite my desire to sit down with a physical book over the long holiday weekend, it never happened, and I've only finished one book this week.


I needed another audiobook to listen to, so I went back to the Maisie Dobbs series for another installment. A Lesson in Secrets finds Maisie involved with the British Secret Service as it investigates possible spies in the world of academia as the rise of Nazism looms in Europe. And of course there's a murder to complicate things. I found this to be entertaining and engaging, and it was interesting to hear about the seeming lack of concern about fascism knowing what we know now about what would happen not long after this story is set. I gave this one 4 stars.


I'm still reading Demon Copperhead (now about 120 pages in), and I've been reading a nonfiction book on my iPad: The Woman They Could Not Silence. This is by the same author of Radium Girls and is interesting without being too heavy.

Today is a gloomy, rainy day, and while I've decided to skip my run (because I hate running with wet feet), I do need to go out in it later on because I'm scheduled to donate blood later this morning. Keep your fingers crossed that my hemoglobin level is high enough!

What are you making and reading this week?


9 comments:

  1. Oh! Another new nephew! Sarah, that's such exciting news. XOXO Love your knitting -- the Hitchhiker is coming right along, and will be such a nice birthday surprise for Rainbow. I'm still reading Demon Copperfield (it's a long one. . . ), but nearing the end. (I probably have 120 pages to go.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your family on the new babies - born and soon-to-be-born. Little Opa is an adorable sweater and I hope we'll get to see photos after the holiday. And Rainbow's Hitchhiker is really lovely! I don't think I've ever knit one with just 42 teeth; my theory is that bigger is better and warmer. This one is beautiful and it will keep Rainbow nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great knitting opportunities! Not to mention the fun of babies/toddlers/kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting for tiny people is also a lot more appealing right now than knitting for my suddenly giant kid!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh!! There's so much to look forward to in the Maisie Dobbs series - thank you for reminding me about it! I'm also reading Demon Copperhead right now... I have to say that it's not drawing me in like I'd hoped it would.

    That hitchhiker looks luxurious. So glad that the dropped stitch will be easy for you to fix - whew! And the colors are just gorgeous. Congrats on the new baby in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another nephew! That is just awesome news!

    And I did do a bit of a double take with your Hitchhiker! LOL It is gorgeous and I am sure that Rainbow will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Such good stuff here! I had to happy-laugh about Rainbow and all the baby boy cousins :). There are going to be some neat relationships there for all of them to grow into. I have images of her being the wise one they all look to as they become grown young people down the road. (Which, surely, is hard to picture now. But!) And a fun WIP to wrap up for the birthday. I have to admit, it's good to see such seasoned knitters have something like a dropped stitch happen. The difference is you know how to make a REAL fix, and I would slip yarn through there and tie a tiny not. While sweating, I'm sure. (I know... 'There are no knots in knitting.' Ahem!)
    Maise Dobbs sounds like some good audio for me. I'm eye-reading The Sentence right now. (And this comment is already WAY too long to address my response to Louise Erdrich, after our year with her,--then some. Another time!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another baby boy coming to your family is such exciting news! And I love that he's going to have a sweater to match his daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the new little nephews. The little sweater is darling and I do love that shade of soft gray. Maisie Dobbs is always a good bet, especially to balance the Kingsolver book. The hitchhiker is lovely. I bet you are really happy to have caught that dropped stitch before it unraveled. Whew.

    ReplyDelete