Pages

Friday, November 17, 2023

A Friday FO

It's been a very long week and I am very happy to see Friday come -- though I have to admit I think I'll be a little happier for Saturday to come so I don't have to wake up to an alarm in the dark. I'm also very happy to have an FO to share this Friday!

I've carefully hidden the ends that still need to be woven in

As predicted, I did finish the shawl up on Wednesday evening. And I did it in grand fashion: by winning a game of yarn chicken. I'd been weighing my main color after each pattern repeat to try to determine how many more I could do. As each one had more stitches and thus used more yarn, that wasn't as easy as it sounds. The first repeat whose MC usage I'd recorded used 7 g; the next one used 8 g. I was down to what I hoped was the penultimate repeat and hoping I had enough for one more. I was very excited when that second-to-last repeat used 8 g and left me with 10 g remaining. I figured the last repeat would use 9 g and leave me with just a little wiggle room, and I was spot on:

I blocked the shawl yesterday morning and started to weave in the ends last night (I'll finish that up later today).

Because I finished the knitting portion of the shawl, I allowed myself to start a new spinning project yesterday. I'd had this one planned for a while. I'm using up two semisolid colors of Southern Cross Fibre South African Superfine Merino that I won as prizes earlier this year. Rather than doing something simple like spinning each onto its own bobbin and plying them together, I'm doing a gradual transition from one to the other in a three-ply yarn. The colors are both soft pastels, so it will be very subtle. This is the photo I took of the fiber after I split it up to give you a sense of how it will be spun:

Each column here represents one bobbin of singles. I'm starting with the left column and have already started the second ball of green. Unless the yarn poofs up significantly when I wash it, I should get a fingering weight in the end, and I'm hoping I can fit the whole skein onto one of my WooLee Winder bobbins (though if it looks like it might be close, I'll get out my miniSpinner and its giant bobbin capacity).

I'm happy to report that opening night of Beauty and the Beast Jr. went very well and had an enthusiastic audience, including, I was happy to see, a lot of students. Mo gave me permission to share a photo of her on stage in full costume, which I think explains very well why she's come home complaining that her whole body is sore:

That's a lot of costume to wear! The Mister and I will be going to tonight's performance with my parents, and then we'll go again tomorrow for closing night with my in-laws and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

We've got a much-needed quiet weekend planned ahead of a short holiday week next week. I'm working through Wednesday (with the hope that the office will close early), and I expect many of my coworkers will be taking some extra time off, making it quiet -- back when I went into the office, I used to enjoy working the Wednesday before Thanksgiving because there were usually so few people actually there! We're supposed to get rain coming through this afternoon and tonight and then chilly weather over the weekend, which is just perfect for putting on sweaters and socks and getting cozy. Hope it's a good weekend for you -- see you back here on Monday!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, BRAVA to Cogsworth!!!! Enjoy these performances, Sarah. As a former theater mom, I know how taxing these productions are for everyone involved. Rest and recovery will be so welcome. XO (And your shawl is stunning.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing the photo of Mo. That IS a lot to wear for an extended time. Hope she had/has fun.

    Your shawl is beautiful. Those colors are so restful and lovely.

    Happy spinning and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for the finished shawl and extra points for winning at yarn chicken! It is lovely and I'm looking forward to the pattern in the future. Your fiber is equally lovely and I'm sure it will be beautiful yarn. Mo is a real trooper for wearing that huge costume but I'm sure she's a terrific Cogsworth. I hope you all enjoy a restful and relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the shawl. How fun for Mo! I was in the dance chorus for a few plays in high school but never had to wear something so awkward as that costume. And that new yarn is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A victorious game of chicken! And that's one incredible costume. Congrats to Mo on opening night! Last year she was tech crew? How does she like the transition to on-stage?
    The shawl is gorgeous. Delicate, just-right colors, and I hope it's a joy to wear.
    Here's to a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that shawl is delightful! What a great photo of Mo, the costumes in Beauty and the Beast are always great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! That is a heavy-looking costume to wear. I'm sure Mo is having fun though. Your shawl is simply stunning Sarah - I love the colors and congrats on winning at yarn chicken! Hope your weekend is plenty relaxing - enjoy sleeping in a bit tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shawl is just stunning! And yay for Mo! I'm glad last night went well and I'm crossing my fingers for the rest of the weekend performances. Break a leg, Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shawl is beautiful. I'm glad the musical went well. A musical in middle school sounds like quite an undertaking for the director. Your plan for the fiber is so interesting. I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one spectacular Cogsworth! Brava to Mo! I hope that the entire weekend was just so fun for her! (and may her soreness ease soon!)

    I am in love with the shawl Sarah! It is just so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That costume!!! I think I understand better why Cogsworth was so cranky.

    ReplyDelete