Pages

Monday, November 06, 2023

The Dreamtime

I don't know about you, but I was not happy to greet this Monday morning. The title of this post is a bit ironic because I did not sleep well Saturday night, despite the extra hour, or last night. We really need to stop this clock-changing business (and if we could stop the Mister's snoring as well, that would be great). While it wasn't the most restful weekend, it was good in many other ways. We had a lovely family dinner on Friday night and got to see my nephew (who is now 6 months old) starting to crawl! He also has a couple of teeth coming in, so he's drooling up a storm and sticking everything, including his entire fist, in his mouth.

Mo had a very busy weekend. She had a play rehearsal on Saturday morning and then went to see The Wiz with the Mister Saturday afternoon. Normally I would take her, but I wanted to be home for the Kingsolver-along meeting on The Lacuna. That meant I was able to finish plying my latest skein of handspun, which I'd started on Friday but was unable to finish because a bunch of work came in.

This spin was from the March Southern Cross Fibre club shipment, a colorway called The Dreamtime. I really loved the colors in this one, but I was also really interested in the story behind it. This is the inspiration photo David shared:

He also gave an explanation of the name:

The Dreamtime is the foundation of Aboriginal religion and culture and dates back some 65,000 years. It is the story of events that have happened, how the universe came to be, how human beings were created, and how their Creator intended for humans to function within the world as they knew it.

I chose to return to my default yarn with this one -- three-ply fingering. I simply split the fiber into three pieces, width-wise, and spun each onto its own bobbin. I was apparently pretty consistent in spinning my singles because two of the three bobbins ran out at almost exactly the same time, so I didn't have to do any faffing around with the last bits of singles to use as much as possible (I did have some remaining on the third bobbin, so I just added them to my "bits and bobs" bobbin). I'm very happy with the finished yarn, even if my camera refuses to accurately capture the richness of the colors.

You can see some of the subtlety of the colors, but if you look at the skein from farther away, it looks like part of the skein is mostly red with the blue/purple highlight and part is the reverse.

I ended up with about 385 yards -- a little less than I was hoping for but still respectable. More impressive is that this is the 30th bag of SCF fiber I've spun this year! I'm going to continue to see how much I can spin up this year, though I doubt I will get completely caught up (I have nine more bags in the stash and another on the way). I did start a new spin yesterday that seems to be going pretty quickly, so I'll share progress on that on Wednesday.

Okay, time to get started on my day! Here's hoping your Monday is off to a decent start.

12 comments:

  1. Your newest spin is beautiful. That is quite an impressive amount of spinning.

    I'm very much in the minority. I love when the clocks turn back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a remarkable job keeping up with your spinning -- 30 in a year! An accomplishment, even if you stopped now! I'm really taken with the name and description, Dreamtime. Rather ironic, given our current state of affairs... Something tells me that, on the wider scale, were not functioning in the world in a way that *anyone's* version of a Creator intended.
    Better to focus on that happy, mobile nephew and all the creativity Mo is gifting the world!
    Here's to better sleep tonight. (Wish I had advice on that snoring. I really do...!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wishing you better sleep too (and also me!). I don't mind the time change when we Fall back...but the Spring ahead always does me in. I wish we could just pick a time and stick with it! Your latest fiber is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your latest handspun is gorgeous, and I really like the inspiration photo and the story. John snores quite loudly and I've found that listening to my iPod does help a little (if I'm tired enough). There are some nights I just have to get up and go sleep in Ryan's or Justin's room with the door shut. Hoping you get some better, quieter rest tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your handspun is gorgeous, as always, and that's a LOT of spinning you've done this year! I hope you get some good rest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your handspun is really so beautiful Sarah... but the inspiration behind this skein is really fun! I hope you can get some sleep and soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. the yarn is beautiful, Sarah, and I think the way you spun and plied it really honors the inspiration David shared. hope you get a better night's sleep tonight. xxoo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What interesting information about "Dreamtime." It seems like I have come across that concept in a novel but I"m not sure which one. Go figure. The yarn is beautiful. I think I am about ready to figure out how to make a 3-ply yarn. I hope you sleep better tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely yarn, Sarah! :-) And an interesting story, too. I . . . just don't care much about the time change. It always takes me a day or two to adjust (and it takes JoJo a while longer!), and it's a pain. But when I see the analyses about how NOT changing the clocks would impact where I live, I really don't like that option! In the winter, if we didn't set our clocks back, it wouldn't get light here in the morning until 9:30 am. And that? It's worth the hassle of changing my clocks to avoid that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's a beautiful skein!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have decided that the difference between those who suffer with the semi-annual time changes (like you) and those who don't (like me) is because the first group has stronger circadian rhythms. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right! I used to be a good sleeper. Then I had a baby, and now I wake up at the slightest sound.

      Delete