Pages

Wednesday, November 08, 2023

Unraveled, Week 45/2023

Good morning, friends! I am feeling much better about the state of the world (or at least the United States) after waking up to good election news and seeing some pretty incredible numbers about turnout among young voters in particular. There's still a lot of work to do, of course, but here in my home county we just elected our first woman county executive, and in the other city where I spent five years of my life, Philadelphia just elected its first woman to serve as mayor.

It's Wednesday, so that means it's time to check in with Kat and the Unravelers. I've got two knitting WIPs at the moment, the shawl that you've already seen (and which is ready for the next mini skein to be introduced) and a new cast-on, a hat for my sister-in-law:

 


I'm just about done with the increases on the crown of the hat, and my goal is to get those done during my team meeting this morning so I will be ready to work the long, mindless stockinette in the round section when I need it this week.

I also started another spinning project on Sunday and managed to finish the singles yesterday, which I wound into a center-pull ball so I can ply from both ends. Even though the lighting was terrible at the time, I had to snap a photo of the cake on the ball winder because it was so pretty:


This is a Merino/Corriedale cross from Southern Cross Fibre in the colorway Bali (April's club). I split the fiber into four long strips and spun them one after another. The fiber was pretty much two shades of blue and a silvery gray, so I think it's going to make a lovely two-ply. I hope to get started on plying today.

Reading has been good this past week, with two finished books.

After starting it way back at the end of August, I was finally able to finish An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us. It took me so long to finish not because it wasn't a good read but because I kept getting interrupted by library holds and book club reads. This is a really fascinating and thoroughly researched work of nonfiction that gives some amazing perspectives on the world that most humans would never even think to consider. I learned about animals I'd never heard of and also about those I thought I knew well. Ed Yong is part of my local speaker series this year, and I'm really looking forward to his talk now that I've read the book. I was also tickled to learn that he has a Corgi named Typo -- such a great name for a dog belonging to a writer! I gave it 4 stars.
I also finished a big book (literally) in In Ascension. This was my penultimate read from the Booker Prize longlist, and it was one I was saving for the end because readers whose opinion I often agree with really enjoyed it. This is technically a work of science fiction, set in the near future when technological advances make space travel to the edge of the Solar System possible and when it appears that Earth has received a message from the outer reaches of space. But it also deals a lot with family relationships and childhood trauma. There's a lot of science, and I have no idea if it's accurate or not because I didn't understand most of it, but that didn't really seem to matter. This isn't going to be a book for everyone (most of the reviewers seem to love it or hate it), but I think it's a book that would be great for a class or a book group because there's a lot in it to discuss and a lot that isn't explained in a really clear-cut way. I gave it 4 stars.

I am currently reading two books: The House of Doors, my very last Booker title, and The Night Circus, which I am rereading because Mo is currently reading it for English class. Though I'm only about two or three chapters into the former, I'm more than halfway done with the latter and expect to finish it up by the end of the week, unless work explodes.

Today is going to be a long day. I have a professional development workshop this afternoon (hence the need to get to the straight knitting part of the hat), which will be held in my office building, and then after I pick Mo up from play practice at 6, I'll have to get her dinner and go back to her school at 7 for a parent preview of high school(!). I am thankful I got a good night's sleep last night and the sun is out today!

What are you making and reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. I like the variety of projects and colors you have going. Great way to stave off boredom. Hope your long day goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High school? How can that be??? Your shawl continues to intrigue me and I can't wait to see the next color. And the hat for your sister-in-law is gorgeous - such rich jewel tones. Finally, your latest spinning is gorgeous (of course blue is a favorite of mine). It must be fun that Mo is at the point where she is reading books you enjoy too. I love that Colin and I can read the same thing occasionally (though our tastes vary widely).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake IS photo worthy, for sure!
    Thanks for the review of An Immense World. That's been on my radar to give to my dad.
    Glad you have a plan of attack for what sounds like a very full day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that shawl even more seeing it for the second time, and the hat is nice and bright. It's almost a shame to disturb that ball of singles; it's beautiful in the way it patterned! High school preview? Surely Mo isn't ready for high school! :-) I'm glad you've got some knitting for your busy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shawl is really looking lovely and I'm super impressed that your singles are so consistent. Good luck with all of the things on your calendar for today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That shawl has a beautiful start, Sarah! And your handspun... well it is so gorgeous... the colors and the spinning! It sounds like you have a FULL day... I hope that it was good and that your full evening will be delightful! (But High School??? Seems impossible!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our heavily Republican township/county/school board turned all Dem and I am not mad about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. High school. Already. Wow! (It goes so fast . . . ) And the election news was quite hopeful. And that helps. Lovely projects, as always, Sarah! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to wrap my head around Mo reading Night Circus in school :-) and wondering if I said how good Martin MacInnes' interview on the Booker site was? (https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/features/martin-macinnes-interview-in-ascension) I especially loved what he said about science fiction (and cli-fi) as a genre. and thinking about the shape of time (Sara Hildreth just finished the book and I got to share more about my LOVE of the Cassini Oval with her, especially the version of it that's shaped like the infinity symbol.) And yes the Tuesday night news is hopeful. I'm reading Heather Cox Richardson's Democracy Awakening, and I need the hope from all the places right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope this long day went well. I've been away. It's hard to believe that Mo will be in high school next year.

    ReplyDelete