Pages

Friday, April 19, 2024

Looking for Normal

Happy Friday, friends. It's been a very long week. All week I've been feeling off -- slightly spacey, more tired than usual -- and then feeling more anxious because of it. First I thought it was just because I haven't been sleeping well (because of snoring, then noise from having the windows open, then an unexpected iPad alarm in the middle of the night), and that's certainly adding to it, but I think part of it is also allergies. I mentioned earlier in the week that I've been getting off of allergy medication; I had been taking cetirizine (Zyrtec) for a long time and had tried to get off it twice before, but each time I failed because I suffered from intense, full-body itching. It was so bad that I ended up with bruises all over my body just from scratching. So for months now I've been tapering off my dose, and after taking a quarter of a pill (just 2.5 mg!), I went off entirely last week. I had the itching again this time around, and the bruising, but I've made it through this time. It's now been more than a week since I had any of this drug in my system, and while I'm still a little itchy from time to time, it's much more manageable. But -- not taking an allergy pill daily, after taking it for several years, means that the allergies have come back in full force, on top of which it seems to be a particularly bad year of pollen. So I suppose it's not surprising that I'm feeling weird! I think getting a bit caught up on sleep will help, and I hope that will happen this weekend.

Sorry if all that is TMI! I am happy to report that my sweater is done and has been blocked, but you'll have to wait until Monday to see it modeled. In the meantime, I've started two new projects -- a pair of socks and a colorwork cowl that's a new design -- and have made a bit of progress on both.

I didn't intentionally choose yarns that had some colors in common, but it's always a happy coincidence when that happens. I may need to cast on something else because Mo and I have tickets to see Company tomorrow and neither of these projects can be worked on without looking (I'm slipping every other stitch on the first round of the color change on the socks for a little fun, but that requires being able to see the color change).

Before I can get to any of that, though, I've got to get through a day of work and a pile of laundry. Here's hoping everyone has a restful weekend!

11 comments:

  1. What colorful starts! (How appropriate for the 'color' theme this week!) I'm so--so--sorry to read of your allergy troubles, though. That is some serious stuff. (Bruising? Oh my gosh.) Has an allergist offered alternatives, if you're going off Zyrtec? As someone who's never dealt with allergies, I can't fathom what you're going through. I hope you get some relief, though. (I've heard it's a particularly bad season.)
    Enjoy the show this weekend. And wishing you some deep rest. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your cetirizine withdrawal woes but am glad it's almost over. My SiL recently told me about one of her patients with a similar experience - intense all-over itching, nausea, insomnia, and a feeling of dread. It sounded like a real nightmare. Allergies can make you feel awful but so can allergy medication or the withdrawal from it. I hope you get all the rest you need this weekend along with some time to work on those lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s been that kind of week for me too, so I can relate. My is largely due to allergies, but tired as my work load has been heavy this week. Love you new projects 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could tell that there was something unusual going on because it hasn't been all that busy of a week at work but I just felt ready to drop!

      Delete
  4. Allergies HAVE been bad this year. I'm suffering through mine with only an occasional Benadryl. Poor Giroux has been on Zyrtec for about a month and a half now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you continue to unravel that allergy med thing and I cannot wait to see your new design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh to those allergies. They sound miserable. I hope you have a restful weekend. You have two pretty projects going. I love the pops of color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your allergies and symptoms. I was on Loratadine for years due to sneezing and itchy eyes - from dust, dog fluff etc. I found that my nose was hurting a lot, so as it was winter here in the UK, I thought I'd come off it. I just use eye drops for a red eye (allergies). I have a nasal spray for hay fever if needed. So far so good but by June we'll be full on summer here. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, Sarah! I am so, so sorry to read of your allergy woes. I have miserable allergies, but I likewise have miserable allergies to the allergy meds... so I get your woes. I am hopeful that you will be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh Sarah, I'm so sorry I didn't know about the allergies ... I'd say you're coping remarkably well and can only hope the weekend (those two bright knitting projects, a bit of musical theater, and some sleep?) helped!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping you're feeling better by now (at least a little bit). Allergies are so miserable -- but withdrawal can be even more so! I hope you've worked through the hardest part of it all, and that you're feeling more . . . yourself. XO

    ReplyDelete