Pages

Monday, April 22, 2024

Totally Different

Remember last week, when I told you I'd finished my sweater but that the weather had gotten so warm that I didn't think I'd have a chance to wear it until the fall? I think the universe must have heard me, because we had a frost advisory this weekend, and yesterday it was chilly enough that I could actually wear my sweater without overheating. I took the opportunity to have my Official Photographer take some glamour shots.


Pattern: Bereket (Ravelry link) by Ainur Berkimbayeva, size 1 (to fit 35 in. bust)
Yarn: my handspun Rambouillet, spun back in the summer of 2020! -- I used approximately 958 yards
Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm)
Started/Completed: March 9/April 17
Mods: lengthened the body

This sweater was unlike any I have knit before, and I'm really not sure why I was so drawn to the pattern, but once I saw it on Instagram on Ainur's feed, I couldn't stop thinking about it. And though I'd originally intended to use this yarn in something else, I quickly realized that it was perfect for this sweater. Although I spun the yarn back in 2020, it actually first came into my stash in the form of half a fleece way back in 2012. At some point I'd sent it to a mill to be processed and got it back as roving, so it became a great excuse to get better at my long draw. And it has a fuzzy, nubby texture that I think works really well with the texture of the stitch patterns.


This sweater is knit side to side, from one sleeve cuff to the other. The stockinette portions of the sleeves are knit in the round, and then once you start the textured sections, you're working back and forth. Those textured sections include garter stitch, eyelets, and what Ainur calls bobbles but what I'd call welts -- working back and forth over a small number of stitches, then creating a sort of pleat by picking up a loop on the wrong side of the work at the base of the tab of fabric and knitting it together with the stitch on the needle to join. The triangular sections in the middle use a lot of short rows; I ended up using German short rows because I didn't like the look of the traditional wrap and turn. Once the second cuff is finished, you pick up stitches for both the neckline and the hem and work twisted ribbing. 


As far as level of difficulty goes, I think most of it lies in the unusual construction. But the pattern is great for leading you through. In addition to having line-by-line instructions, Ainur has schematics all through the pattern that show you exactly what part you're working on that look like this:


This shows you that you're working on the textured front section (what's in the darker brown), and the lighter brown shading shows you've what you've completed. This is the first time I've seen something like this in a pattern, and I think it's a brilliant way to make things extremely clear for the knitter, even when the construction is more conventional.


My only modification to this pattern was to add more ribbing to the body. Ainur calls for about an inch of twisted ribbing on the lower hem before the bind off, but that was just too cropped for me. I think this is likely because I was working a size smaller than what was recommended, so my sweater ended up smaller overall. She intended it to be an oversized cropped pullover, and each size in the pattern is specified for a range of bust sizes. For my full bust, I should have knit the second size, but I didn't want this to be that big on me, so I knit the smallest size. This was partially because I thought I was going to be cutting it close on my yarn, but I ended up using much, much less than specified, so I had plenty to add some length. I've got about 4.5 inches of twisted ribbing on the bottom, and it hits me right at my hip (the t-shirt I'm wearing underneath in the photos is a bit big on me). This sizing choice is also why the sleeves end a lot higher on me than on others you'll see if you look at projects on Ravelry. But I'm totally happy with how this fits, and it's actually just right for a cool (but not cold) early spring day. All the same, I'll be happy to not wear this again until fall!

* * * * *

This week is going to be a busy one, especially the first couple of days. Passover starts tonight, and we are hosting Seder for 19 (including the baby nephews). I'm going to do my best to keep up with my usual blog schedule, including Thursday's poetry post, but please bear with me if my posts are shorter than usual and/or if it takes me a bit longer than usual to reply to comments!

17 comments:

  1. Your sweater is beautiful and you look wonderful in it! When you first started showing it to us, I had a difficult time making it into a sweater, but those shaded schematics are sure helpful. I really like the extra ribbing; it makes it look more balanced somehow. I thought of you while I was bringing my plants indoors for the frost advisory and wondered if you got a chance to wear it. I'm glad you did!
    Chag Pesach Sameach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:30 AM

    Such a gorgeous finish Sarah!! I love it and it looks wonderful on you. (I am still enamored with those bobbles/welts!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - forgot my name again!

      Delete
  3. Oh Sarah! That is just so cute (and so perfect for YOU!) I love it! It fits well and I love the added ribbing, it makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater looks beautiful on you. Congrats!

    Have a happy Passover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great sweater! You have my admiration for knitting such a complicated pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know it does seem complicated just to look at it, but the pattern makes it completely clear -- literally line-by-line instructions. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely perfect on you!! We didn't get your frost advisory (really glad for that) -- but I'm glad it meant you got to wear your Bereket. Gorgeous color on you too, BTW.
    Wishing you a happy Passover -- and happy hosting. (Wow. 19!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jumper looks good on you, a lovely pattern, it suits you.
    Happy Passover celebrations. I'm hoping next year that our church minister will lead us through a passover service... either for our young people or for the whole church one evening. My husband and I attended one around 30 yrs ago, I'm looking forward to going to another one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sweater looks wonderful and it's definitely a fitting project for that wonderful yarn and all the time you spent with it, from fleece to spinning to knitting! I hope your Passover celebration is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love the sweater ... in the yarn you spun and the size you chose - it's perfect! Wishing you all the best for tonight's dinner and a Happy Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a terrific sweater. I love that you made it out of handspun. Echoing Mary's comment about the best for the dinner and a Happy Passover. Don't give blog reading and posting another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoyed a lovely Passover celebration yesterday. I was thinking of you and your family. The sweater is so lovely, Sarah. I'm happy you were able to take comfortable modeled shots, but also sorry that you were able to take comfortable modeled shots (if you get my drift). Be gentle with yourself during this hectic week! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That top is beautiful and what an interesting construction. I bet it was really fun to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is beautiful! It fits you so well and I love the construction of it too. Bravo 👏

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Bereket looks so good on you! Chag Pesach Sameach! Nineteen people!

    ReplyDelete