Pages

Monday, April 01, 2024

Showers, Right On Schedule

There will be no April Fool's jokes from me today (but I will share that in French, the term is "poisson d'avril," or "April fish"). However, Mother Nature seems to be taking the old saying "April showers bring May flowers" to heart this year, because it's raining and will continue raining for most of this week, with a possibility of some mixed-in snow showers at the end of the week. In the words of toddler Mo, "No like it!"

We did have a nice, but busy weekend. Services on Friday night were really lovely, but it ended up being a late night because we decided to go out to dinner afterwards and of course had a wait. Thankfully we all slept in Saturday morning. Mo and I thoroughly enjoyed Mamma Mia on Saturday afternoon -- apparently this national tour is celebrating the show's 25th anniversary, which means when I saw it the first time in Toronto, before it went to Broadway, it was part of the very first season of shows. I got a lot of sock knitting done, too, and though I needed a little more time yesterday, I did indeed finish the socks. I'll block them today and then take them to my sister-in-law sometime this week.

I used my usual top-down heel flap/gusset recipe for these, worked over 80 stitches using US 0/2.0 mm needles. The yarn is Knit Picks Felici in the colorway Lassi (as in mango lassi). Felici is pretty generous on yardage -- 436 yards per 100 g -- but my sister-in-law's feel are so big that even knitting her shortie socks used 65 g! Despite starting the socks in the same place in the stripe sequence, they don't quite match, but honestly I think they're close enough, and she may not even notice.

Last night we had some friends over for dinner, as as we were sitting and talking, I looked down at my feet and noticed I had a big hole in one of my own shortie socks (this was a pair that was "missing" for a while in the mess that was my closet, so I suspect some critter may have nibbled on them and weakened a strand that broke). After I finished grafting and weaving in ends on my SIL's socks, I did a repair job on mine:

Before       |       After

I didn't have any of the yarn left (the socks were themselves made from leftovers), so I pulled out some that had sort of similar colors and stitched it all back together. It's not a perfect fix, but I mainly wear these socks around the house, so it doesn't much matter anyway.

This week is shaping up to be another busy one. Tomorrow at 8 I go back to the dentist for my permanent veneer, and then at 11 I've got an appointment to donate blood. Plus there are the usual work meetings, school pickups, and chores around the house. I don't know if I'll be able to get outside to exercise at all this week, other than walking to and from my appointments. At least being inside all day means I'm closer to my knitting, which I hope to do more of this week!

10 comments:

  1. It is going to be a wet week... and I am with you on NO SNOW! Sigh. Nice sock fix! But even better... nice sock finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute shortie socks for your SIL. I finished one shortie this weekend and started the matching #2. We are in the rain zone as well and it is difficult to wake up this morning. I have sheets in the washer, but I might not do much else today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already complaining about the weather this week but I'm glad I don't have to work outside in it like Justin and that I enjoy my indoor pursuits like knitting, reading (and laundry). I do like those socks or your SiL, and I learned something. I had never heard of mango lassi but now I know what it is. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got a similar April-start with our weather, Sarah. But . . . you know what that will bring in May, right??? I hope your week goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same weather-wise here. I'm hoping that means lots of knitting time for you AND for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great socks! Our weather is pretty typical. 70's, even an 81 degree day forecast with showers in the evenings, then it will drop back into lower 50's and near freezing at night for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also just noticed a hole in one of my pairs of socks! It's waiting on my desk for me to pull out some leftovers to mend it, though I doubt I'll bother trying to coordinate my patch as well as you did yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather is a little up and down here as well. The new shortie socks look great. That is a pretty colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your SIL is going to love her socks! and only in Florida have I seen orchids growing on trees - they're gorgeous ... and not at all what we'd see in Atlanta - maybe we're the northern end of the southeast?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great socks, they look a good match. Well done on the darning.

    ReplyDelete