Pages

Friday, October 18, 2024

All Things Blue

I've noticed it recently, so perhaps you have, too? Lately all my projects seem to be in the same color family. I was even about to start a new spinning project but realized the fiber I'd pick out was -- you guessed it! -- blue. I might need an intervention. The good news is that the sky has turned blue again, after several days of clouds and rain and colder temps. We had a frost advisory overnight, but it's supposed to get back up into the 70s this weekend and into early next week. I don't mind the cooler temperatures, but I'm happy to see the sun again!

My handspun sweater has continued to get a little attention every night, and though it grew quickly at the beginning, I'm now getting close to 300 stitches and the rounds are taking a bit more time. I have one more increase round to do before I work to a certain length and then do some raglan increases, and my knitting is officially big enough to comfortably stretch around a 40-inch circular needle.


My mother-in-law's socks are very close to being finished -- in fact, I'm hoping I can finish them up this morning when I take Molly to an orthodontist appointment! And while I'm planning to cast on that design pair soon, I've also been thinking about starting a gnome for my brother for this year's Chanukah gift. I have never managed to do one of Sarah Schira's mystery gnomes while it is a mystery, but I have several times bought the pattern after I've seen FOs, and that was the case with the most recent one (Ravelry link). I found an old 50 g skein of Knit Picks Gloss from a long time ago that I'm planning to use for the body and legs, but I'm debating which self-striping to use for the hat and socks. Thoughts?


The skein on the right has some University of Michigan vibes going for it, but it's also pretty dark and subdued, so I'm leaning toward the skein on the left -- though I also really liked that colorway and kind of wanted it for socks for me (but I think I could make some shortie socks with the leftovers and a mini skein or two). Really I could be convinced either way, though the left skein is certainly less blue!

We are headed into a much calmer weekend than the last one. Molly is off from school today while parent/teacher conferences happen, and after her appointment, I think she's going to try to get all her homework done so she can forget about it for a couple of days. Saturday evening is the homecoming dance at her school, which she's going to with a girlfriend from her class, and the Mister and I are having dinner out while she's there. And the only thing I have on the schedule on Sunday, assuming everyone can still make it, is a get-together with my mah-jongg group before one of our members moves (temporarily) to Sweden with her husband. I'm thinking it'll be a good weekend to bake some fall treats -- perhaps some apple cider donuts, seeing as I will not be getting the real thing at Rhinebeck -- catch up on sleep, do some reading, and perhaps cast on some new projects. Here's hoping your weekend is similarly full of good things!

6 comments:

  1. Your sweater looks quite a bit larger than before, and I like seeing lots of blue. For a gnome, I'd vote for the skein on the left, but you are the boss of your knitting. I hope Molly enjoys the dance and I hope you enjoy your weekend (and possible apple cider donuts)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your sweater yarn is knitting up! I'd also have a hard time choosing a striping skein for your brother's gnome—they're very different, but they'd both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Bonny, I love the color blue and so enjoy seeing it in your work. It is interesting how sometimes knitting/spinning projects seem to end up in the same colorway. I think the skein on the left would be fun in a gnome but I can see how that set would make a great pair of socks. Perhaps the more subdued skein would be more masculine. I hope Molly enjoys Homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's hope the blue streak continues through November ;)

    Your sweater is so pretty! I also like the yarn on the left for a gnome BUT I vote for saving it for yourself. I have a feeling that he might prefer a more subdued gnome anyway.

    Your weekend sounds lovely. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your handspun for your sweater Sarah, it’s going to be beautiful! The yarn for your gnome is fun, I like them both… I’ve been thinking about making gnomes too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete