Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Unraveled, Week 42/2024

It is Wednesday, and though Kat is on vacation this week and not hosting a formal link-up, I can't let a week go by without an Unraveling post.

My sweater doesn't look all that different from how it did on Monday, though it's been getting attention each evening. Molly and I have finished watching all of Gilmore Girls, so we're taking a little break from series for the time being and watching romcoms in between episodes of The Great British Baking Show. It makes for good knitting time. I've also turned the heel and started the gusset on the second mother-in-law sock:

and I dug out the skein I wanted for the next pair of socks (the design idea I mentioned):

This is LolaBean Yarn Co. String Bean (75/15 superwash merino/nylon) in the colorway Troll-la, which might have been a special/limited edition. In any case, the pattern idea involves lace, so I didn't want self-striping or anything heavily variegated, so I hope this will work. I still need to sketch out a chart before I swatch, and I'm not even winding the yarn until I finish the current socks -- but I am keeping the skein out where I can see it as motivation.

I'm happy to report that the week has, thus far, been fairly calm, though the power went out unexpectedly for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon for no apparent reason, giving me some unexpected crafting time -- no power means no work email! I pulled a book from my Kindle library and plied the skein of mystery wool:

I ended up with approximately 159 yards of chain-plied fingering weight from 55 grams. It looks like it will work quite well for beards and various other gnome-related needs, plus now I have used up another random ball of wool.

There's been some excellent reading happening this week. I have finished two books and am getting close to the end of two more.

First was the next Read With Us selection, Intermezzo. At the last Zoom, the book was announced ahead of its publication, so I went into my Libby app and tagged the book "notify me" so that I'd get an alert when the library had it. I happened to see the notification pop up on my phone and immediately put the book on hold, making me third in line for it, so I didn't have to wait long (and I did think about delaying it, given that the discussion isn't happening until early next year, but thought I could always reread it if I need to). This is the story of two brothers, Peter and Ivan, who are a decade apart in age and in very different places in life, and when we meet them, their father has just died after a long illness. The story is told in shifting perspectives, and through following the thoughts and experiences of both brothers, we learn a lot about their history, how their relationship with one another has evolved, and how they are both dealing (or not) with their grief. This was only my second time reading a book by Sally Rooney, and I wasn't terribly impressed by the first one. I found this new novel to be a bit of a slow burn for me; I was kind of confused at first, particularly by Peter's sections, as his thoughts were more rambling and full of incomplete sentences. But once I got about halfway through, I had a better sense of my bearings in terms of the two brothers and their voices, such as they are. I can understand why some people have trouble with Rooney's writing (she doesn't use quotation marks around speech, for instance), but I think it's something you can adapt to. I really enjoyed this one, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more after the discussion. I gave it 4 stars.

Next, I went on the hunt for audiobooks on NetGalley because I was caught up on podcasts and had a wait for the next audiobook I wanted to read from the library. I can't remember where I first heard about Quarterlife; I must've seen someone bookmark it and it showed up in my feed. But after spending the summer with A Suitable Boy, this seemed like an excellent pairing. Like "the brick," it's largely a story of young people searching for meaning and purpose in their lives, but instead of dealing with the echoes of Partition and colonialism, they are contending with the impacts of economic meltdowns and rising nationalism -- as well as the same issues associated with caste and religion that have not gone away. The narrative centers three 20-somethings: Naren, who has studied and worked in the United States and returned to India following news of changes in political power; Amanda, a white New Englander feeling a need to escape her life and contribute to the betterment of society; and Rohit, Naren's younger brother, a filmmaker exploring politics and his family history. There's a lot going on in this book, with many other characters and side stories introduced and a lot of discussion of politics, caste, and religion. I'm not sure if my difficulty in following was due to the sheer volume of information, my lack of familiarity with Indian politics, or that I was listening rather than reading with my eyes; it was likely a combination of all three. I'm sure that readers who could appreciate the details and the nuance got a lot more out of the novel than I did. Despite my confusion, however, I could appreciate the skill of the author in tackling so much and in getting inside the heads of such an array of characters. I gave it 3 stars. Thank you to NetGalley and HighBridge Audio for providing me with an advanced listener copy of this book in return for an honest review.

I'm nearing the end of another NetGalley ARC, Awake in the Floating City, and Louise Erdrich's newest novel, The Mighty Red. I expect I'll have a review of both by this time next week.

What are you making and reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. I really love the way your mother-in-law socks are knitting up. The yarn is lovely, and that particular color combination is a favorite of mine. I'm glad you enjoyed Intermezzo. I, too, thought it was a slow burn kind of read -- I needed to read for quite a while before I was thoroughly "hooked" on the story. (Power outages are such a "gift" when you work from home . . . because what can you do?????)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the skein of yarn you've picked for your new design - that's one of my favorite colors! And you've given me hope for the new Sally Rooney. I have it on my TBR for next month and have been kind of dreading it... I've started all of her books but haven't finished any of them because they are just so darn boring to me (which is bizarre, because I tend to like boring books??). So - fingers crossed! Enjoy the new Louise Erdrich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intermezzo came in quickly for me, too -- but I've decided to postpone (b/c I know me...). Right now, I'm reading Martyr! in hardcopy (which has been on my shelf for months! Finally getting to it.) Coincidentally, knowing absolutely nothing about the book, just blind-choosing b/c I needed a book for a long drive, I downloaded Only This Beautiful Moment, by Abdi Nazemian. Their commonalities are so abundant, I can hardly believe it.
    That String Bean skein would DEFINITELY motivate me! I'm working on Elsa's simple raglan sweater, which had optional short rows I chose to skip, as I'm doing much of this knitting @ volleyball games and don't trust myself. It's coming together nicely. If I like it, I might make one for myself WITH the short rows. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Love that sock yarn for your new design. I am knitting sleeves this week when I’m not working on my quilt. All about balance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your MiL socks are looking good, and that LoLaBean skein is definitely motivating! I thought about you when I first started Intermezzo. Peter's sentence fragments and Rooney's lack of punctuation were driving me to distraction (literally distracting from the story for me), and I imagined that it might be similar for you as an editor. I had to take a break from it, but I'm listening to it now and enjoying it much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that Troll-la is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Wednesday (already!!) - Quarterlife is one of Sara (FictionMatters) top picks for fall and I have the hardcover to read "soon" - your comments make me think I'm glad I have it to read with my eyes. Love the yarn for your upcoming sock design - LolaBean is a Georgia small business and I always enjoy seeing how far her yarn travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now it is Thursday. It seems like I am perpetually behind on blog reading. It will be fun to see how the new sock design comes to life. I have to smile as I often leave a skein of yarn around as inspiration or motivation. I finished There Are Rivers in the Sky and absolutely loved it for many reasons.

    ReplyDelete