Pages

Friday, October 11, 2024

Starting Small

It's not much, but it's a start!

As I hoped, I was able to cast on for my Goldenfern (Ravelry link) on Wednesday evening. After much deliberation, I've decided to knit the next size up -- finished bust circumference of 40.75 in./101.5 cm -- and hope for the best. That sounds a bit like I just picked it at random, but really I did a number of calculations based on my gauge to verify that it would come more or less the right size. I'll be trying this on as I go to make sure that's the case. I expect this is going to be a long-term knit, and that's okay. Given how much time it took to spin the yarn, I don't mind taking my time and enjoying working with it. But it would be nice to be able to wear it this season, so I'm going to do my best not to let it sit and actually continue to work on it regularly.

The weekend ahead is looking pretty full but, fortunately, not with a lot of running around. Yom Kippur begins this evening at sundown, so we'll be having a big early dinner ahead of services and will be at synagogue this evening. (Side note: The evening service that begins the holiday features one of the most beautiful prayers in the liturgy, at least in my opinion. If you'd like to hear a bit, here is the video of the service from last year; Kol Nidre begins at about 16:00. And if you fast-forward a bit, you might see a familiar face holding the Torah.) Tomorrow we'll be back at services for the morning and will have a quiet afternoon before we break the fast. Then, on Sunday morning, we are having a brunch to celebrate my father's 75th birthday. I think after a solemn and contemplative day, it will be wonderful to have a reason to celebrate.

I hope you have a weekend full of whatever you need. See you back here on Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your big dinner before the fast, I hope it goes easy. And Happy Birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've started the sweater - and wishing you an easy fast and a joyful celebration with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am happy to see that sweater on the needles. A long term project might be just the thing for the rest of this autumn. I hope your holiday is a beautiful experience. Enjoy the birthday on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the start of your sweater and Happy Birthday to your Dad!!

    ReplyDelete