Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Pattern Release: Bridge Walker Hat

Today I released the second pattern from my Stitchburgh pattern collection.

My inspiration for today's pattern came from this metalwork, which you can see on some of the city's bridges and along the pedestrian walkway on Fort Duquesne Boulevard in downtown, which is alongside the Allegheny River and across from PNC Park.


I snapped a picture of some of these railings months and months ago from the car -- I just knew it would look great as a stranded colorwork motif. When I did finally sit down to chart it, it didn't take very long at all for the design to come together. The result is today's pattern, the Bridge Walker Hat.

In case you're wondering, that's the Roberto Clemente Bridge behind me.

As stranded colorwork goes, this is a pretty easy knit. The hat is worked in two colors of worsted weight yarn (I used Fibernymph Dye Works Cozy, a lovely, bouncy superwash merino) from the bottom up. The brim is worked in 1x1 twisted rib, and the band of stranded work goes right around your ears and forehead, making the hat extra cozy from all those floats on the inside. In the entire motif, you'll really only need to catch your floats on one line of the colorwork motif (and I tell you exactly where to do it in the pattern). I also give some tips in the pattern for how to keep your tension even so that you can end up with a hat that's as pretty on the inside as it is on the outside:



No comments:

Post a Comment