Pages

Monday, March 28, 2022

Growth in 2022: March


Somehow we've arrived at the last week of March -- how did that happen? March always feels extra long to me, perhaps because it seems to contain both winter and spring (and in Western Pennsylvania, we often go back and forth between the two seasons several times over the course of the month). This year, though, it seemed to go very quickly, probably because I was busy with a number of work and personal things. This past week finally slowed down a bit (likely because I wasn't running around doing errands and school pickup and such), but I'm still surprised that it'll be April at the end of the week.

Seeing as it is the final Monday of the month, though, it's time for my monthly check-in with my One Little Word. Thanks, as always, to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-up.

Thinking about Growth this month, I thought immediately about how I've approached some knitting challenges in a new way. There are techniques that I've long shied away from doing or trying because I had it in my head that they were hard. But can't that be said about anything that's new or that you haven't done before? Perhaps a task is hard or will take a significant amount of effort. And that might be the case, either because something requires a lot of skill or because you just haven't learned how to do it yet. But what I've found in this last month is that my perception often drastically overestimates reality. In the case of a tubular cast-on, one new thing I tried this month, it wasn't hard at all -- I just needed the right instructions for me. Similarly, I have a bad habit of putting off things that are uncomfortable for me because I think they will take a lot of time and/or emotional effort, but when I actually sit down to do them, they're a lot faster and less taxing. 

I think what it all comes down to is that I have to stop underestimating myself. I am a smart, capable woman. I have the knowledge, the skill, and the intelligence to do most things I want to do. I may not be good at everything I set my mind to do, and there may be things that I'll never be good at, but I shouldn't let the fear of not being perfect at something right away keep me from it altogether. And perhaps I need to get myself one of these shirts to give myself a constant reminder.

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect GROWTH "epiphany!" Those are powerful words, Sarah, and a great new "story" to tell yourself: "I have to stop underestimating myself." (Definitely get the t-shirt. . . ) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good growth! It's funny to read that you think of some knitting things as difficult; even though I don't know you in person, I think of you as a fearless knitter. One who's always willing to try something new, and even able to think up new techniques and patterns on your own. You do have the knowledge and skill to try lots of new things, and that same knowledge can serve you well even if you decide that some new things are just not your cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great growth epiphany, Sarah! Well done you! I am nodding to Kym's comments... I think "I have to stop underestimating myself" is the most powerful sentence in the world! And YES... get that shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! And of course I agree that you can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect shirt for your Growth year!! You make such a strong point here. And your message is so translatable...I think of All the Things it took me ages to muster up the courage/energy/money/confidence to do. And I cannot think of ONE example where that delay was warranted. Instead it was, Gee, if only I'd known [I was capable, fill in the blank...], I never woulda waited!
    I'm thrilled for you that this is occurring so early in the year. And enjoy those Florida days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That shirt is such a great reminder for this year! (and all the years). I'm sure you give Rainbow all kinds of encouragement and confidence about trying new things ... I'm glad you're giving yourself some, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring post. I so agree with not letting perfectionism get in the way of trying something new. I like the way you affirm your capabilities. You are intelligent and capable and a wonderful role model for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Sarah! You definitely should get the Tee Shirt. I love it.

    ReplyDelete