Pages

Friday, November 04, 2022

FO Friday

Rainbow and I have been in agreement that this week should already have been over at least a day ago, but today is, in fact, Friday. I'm hoping it goes by quickly and easily!

I'm finishing this week with two finished projects. First, the as-yet-unnamed cowl:

I still have to block it, which will smooth out the surface a bit and stretch it a bit widthwise, but I did weave in all 10 ends (the only real downside to using five different mini skeins). On my to-do list is writing up the pattern, which shouldn't take too long. I'm also planning to adjust the stitch pattern for a hat, likely in a thicker yarn and using only two colors.

Yesterday afternoon, I finished up yet another scrappy charity hat. I called this one "Bottom of the Scrap Barrel" because I really didn't have much yarn left in my bag of Fibernymph Dye Works scraps -- as evidenced by the concentration of blues at the top.

To give you an idea of just how much yarn has been used up recently, here's the current state of the Giant Bag 'o Scraps:

I went looking back through my archives to see if I had posted a photo of it when it was full but couldn't find one, so suffice it to say that this bag is around 17 inches wide and nearly 20 inches deep and was overflowing at its fullest. Most of what's left in there now is non-superwash scraps. The ziplocks off to the side are exclusively Fibernymph leftovers, and most of those are sport weight. So I think it's fair to say that we have done a good job of using up the scraps.

After finishing up these two projects, I found myself without any active knitting (shhh, I know I still have Rainbow's long-languishing Hitchhiker in progress), so I finally cast on a project I've been meaning to start for a while -- my Recalibrate.


After doing a bunch of swatching, talking with the designer, talking with other knitters, and generally pondering this project, I've decided to go with the gauge I like (which is quite different from the gauge given in the pattern) and the measurements I want to have in the finished garment and basically recalculating the whole pattern. Fortunately this pattern lends itself well to this adjustment, or at least it seems it does at this point -- I have only just started, after all! I am using -- surprise, surprise -- Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce, my go-to fingering weight, in a semi-tonal called Icy Blue (which in reality is more blue and less green than it appears here) as well as my set of mini skeins from last year's holiday set. I may omit one or two of the minis that don't quite seem to match my color scheme, but generally these are the colors you can expect to see.

Happy weekending, friends!

4 comments:

  1. I also wish we could have ended this week at least a day earlier! That cowl is lovely and I'm glad to read that you didn't let your needles sit idle for too long. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Recalibrate pattern is a winner! I have plans for one now myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so satisfying about using up scraps. The cowl is really pretty. Mini-skein sets are popping up all over Instragram. Have fun planning and beginning that new project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like Recalibrate! I will be excited to see how yours goes!

    But you cowl! I am completely smitten! It is just so great, Sarah! I love the graphic-ness of it, and the colors are so good!

    ReplyDelete