Pages

Monday, November 14, 2022

How I Spent My Long Weekend

I think it's fair to say that here in Western Pennsylvania, we're past the beautiful days of autumn and have officially entered what I think of as Gloom Season. As I mentioned in my last post, we had a very rainy day on Friday as the remnants of the hurricane moved through; we actually ended up with more than two inches and set a new record! Fortunately it stayed relatively mild that day, but overnight the temperature dropped, and this weekend was downright chilly in addition to being gloomy. That made it a good weekend to stay inside!

I didn't do a ton of crafting over the weekend, but I did manage to start and finish a hat!

If the pattern looks familiar, that's because it's another iteration of the same pattern used in the cowl I recently finished. The yarn dyer was kind enough to send me yarn support to create the hat pattern, and I wasted no time. I've already written up a draft of the pattern, too, so now that the first sample is complete, I just need to do some calculations to figure out yarn requirements. I say "first sample" because I am planning to knit a second hat with the colors reversed.

I also worked a bit on my Recalibrate and am nearly finished with the third mini skein stripe:


The light (or lack thereof) is not really helping with the colors here; this is a better representation of the mini skeins:


I'm still not sure if this sweater is going to look totally wild or totally amazing with all the colors, but I'm committed to it at this point. The rows are long but mindless, so I think if I could just settle down and focus on it, I could make some real progress.

I know that's not a ton of knitting to show for a long weekend, but I also did a lot of laundry, cleaned bathrooms, ran errands, cooked, walked, and slept in -- it was just what I needed! Here's hoping your week is off to a good start!

10 comments:

  1. Ooo! That hat is very cute, Sarah! But I do very much like your start to your Recalibrate! I think those stripes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hat and those colors, and will look forward to seeing how it looks when the colors are reversed (I'm betting it will be just as lovely)! Recalibrate continues to be interesting and I bet it will end up as totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hat is very fun and I love the look of your mini skeins in that project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a nice, restorative weekend. I think your sweater is going to look fabulous with all of those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That actually IS a ton of weekend knitting, in my book, Sarah! I love that hat--the first thing I thought of when I looked at it was 'piano keys'...could be fun to make that in black + ivory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks to me as if you accomplished a great deal of knitting. I think the sweater is going to be amazing. The colors play so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a colorful sweater is the perfect antidote to Gloom Season! I can't wait to see come to life, Sarah. And hat is great! It's one of those simple patterns that are SO effective (and will be so fun to experiment with). That's pretty good progress for "not much knitting" . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that hat! There's nothing better than a pile of stitching and books to help us get through Gloom Season. We also had a weekend full of rain and now we're waking up to snow, so it's safe to say that Gloom Season is really upon us!

    I hope your week has been treating you well. I can't wait to see what you've been reading in your blog post today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your decision to insert two garter ridges of the main color between the mini skeins is genius. The eye needs a place to rest when there are so many colors going on, and your blue stripes provide that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to credit my daughter for that. I asked her opinion and she said yes, definitely. And now that I've done it, I can see that not doing it would have been not so good.

      Delete