Pages

Friday, March 03, 2023

She Spins Seashells

TGIF, friends! It has been another long week, so I'm happy to have the end of it come around finally. I was hoping to have the beginning of the lace of my Love Note to share with you today, but it turns out that I have trouble counting after a long day, and I ended up having to tink back everything I'd knit and ran out of time to redo it. Instead, I have another skein of handspun to share.

I thought I'd take a quick break from burning through my Southern Cross Fibre stash and spin up one of the bags of fiber that Margene sent me. I picked a pretty 2 oz. bundle of 80% Cormo wool/20% angora from Wooly Wonka Fibers in the colorway Seashells, a very apt name for colors reminiscent of what you'd see inside shells you pick up on the beach. Given the small amount, I decided to spin it all onto one bobbin, wind the singles into a center-pull ball, and then ply from both ends. If you're interested in the mechanics of this, I posted a reel on my Instagram account earlier in the week (thanks to the fancy tripod I recently got to hold my phone). The result is a lovely little skein of a bit more than 200 yards of two-ply fingering to sport:

It's not the most consistent yarn ever -- Cormo is always a bit of a challenge for me, because it's so fine and so springy that it has a tendency to get neppy really easily -- but it's bouncy and soft. Don't ask me what I'll make with this, because I really just spun it to spin it. Perhaps it will be a gift for someone, one day.

Today is going to be wet and windy (the local weather report used a "where you'll find your empty garbage can" graphic to illustrate how high the winds will be, and the forecast is "in your neighbor's yard"), so I'll be staying inside. We're headed back to my mother's for Friday night dinner this evening, so challah baking is also on tap. Tomorrow, Rainbow and I are planning to head to a local-ish fiber event, our first in several years, and I'm hoping that over the weekend I can manage to count correctly and get my Love Note back in order.

Have a great weekend, friends!

8 comments:

  1. That is a really lovely little skein! I was going to ask if you had plans for it, but I guess it will become whatever it is meant for someday. Your weekend plans sound very nice and I hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie @ The Cozy Burrow8:23 AM

    That is a gorgeous skein! I love the soft colors and fluffiness of it - so wonderful! Enjoy dinner at your mom’s tonight and try to stay warm and dry inside. The sun is shining here right now but we are forecasted to get 10” tonight and through tomorrow morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH a pretty skein of yarn, Sarah. And so aptly named, too. I'm really chuckling about your "garbage can" weather forecast! That's very clever - and fun. :-) Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely skein! It definitely sounds like staying inside is best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That skein is gorgeous, Sarah! Well done!

    (and I laughed at that garbage can wind forecast as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like great plans for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I imagine you're enjoying Friday night at your parents' right about now...as I listen to the WIND and RAIN outside my window this evening! (Troy is driving home from a work trip near PGH in it...he reports that it's a real mess on the road.) I absolutely love that colorway. That is 'me' if a skein ever was! I thought, with the name Seashells, you'd possibly take it to FL to knit something up?! Maybe not this trip :)
    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garbage can in your neighbor's yard wind forecast is a good one. That is a sweet little skein of yarn. I saw the IG photo of your Saturday field trip. Even if the drive was a little further than you expected, it is nice to get out of the house. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete