Pages

Friday, March 24, 2023

Winding Down

I will be the first to admit that working full time in Florida in March is very different from working at home in March, but all the same I am ready for the weekend so I can detach myself from my work computer for a couple of days. My daily walk or run has been my one escape, and the photo above is a college of some of pictures I snapped on yesterday's walk. My parents' house is in a large development here, so there are always gardeners and landscapers out planting, trimming, fertilizing, etc. Though plants obviously do grow year-round here, it wasn't until Rainbow and I came down for spring break last year that I realized just how much more color there is in March compared to December. The birds are also much noisier! It's been such a treat and delight to go out every morning when it's still a little cool and enjoy the sun, the sounds, and the sights. I'm sorry you can't all enjoy it with me, but I hope the photos at least can cheer you a bit if things are still cold and monotone in your neck of the woods.

I've been making slow and steady progress on two of my knitting projects (I haven't yet started the baby sweater), but I'll be headed home with at least one FO in the form of this very wonky dishcloth:

You can see from the wavy edges how imperfect it is (not that I very much care -- it's a dishcloth!), but I'm happy to have figured it out and have already started another now that I feel a bit more confident in what I'm doing. I used less than half a skein of Knit Picks Dishie for this cloth, so I should easily be able to get another cloth out of it with some leftover. And there is more crochet to come. Last night we went out to dinner at a place that's right near a Michaels, so we stopped there first to pick up supplies for my mother to make a baby blanket:

I'm going to teach her how to do corner-to-corner crochet, and we figured acrylic was the easiest and most practical thing to use (it's not my favorite fiber at all, but for a baby blanket that will need to be washed frequently, it makes sense). These Caron Baby Cakes are 560 yards each, so two of them should make a perfect baby-sized blanket.

This weekend we have plans to have dinner at our favorite restaurant here, which we didn't get to do when we were here in December, and tomorrow is our last Zoom discussion of the Erdrich-along. I'm sad to be finishing that, though I'm looking forward to moving onto Barbara Kingsolver for our next author study.

Do you have anything exciting on tap for this weekend? Whatever's on your agenda, I hope you enjoy it!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for those photos; that is definitely more color than we've got here on a gray, rainy, and dismal day! Your dishcloth will be fine once it's put to use. I've been craving some calamari and Sophia's looks like just the place to get some very good food. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at one of the photos in your collage. It's about those air plants.

    We had them everywhere behind our house. I would collect up some that fell and put them in with my orchids. They were basically "junk" plants.

    Then we moved up here and saw the same things selling for $$$$. Who knew???? I could have been a millionaire. LOL

    Safe travels coming home. Glad you had a good vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your dinner at Sophia's - looks wonderful. I like your dishcloth and I'm wondering if crocheting a cotton dishcloth would be easier on my hands than knitting one. Any thoughts? Those flowers are gorgeous. Despite our rainy weather, the daffodils are cheery and yesterday I noticed our front forsythis is showing color and a few grape hyacinths have popped up. I, too, am ready for the weekend, though today has been blessedly quiet work-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to see the colors in your photograph. Dishie is a nice cotton yarn. The yardage is so generous. The early daffodils are up by about three or four inches and today the sun tried to shine. Have fun with your Mom and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing your Florida photos! I keep thinking about how the bluebonnets must have already bloomed and died down in Texas. It's amazing how different the climate is between here and there! I hope you and your mom enjoy crocheting together. And that the Zoom goes well today -- it will be a fascinating discussion, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That green! Oh my... what a delight for my eyes! (and that dishcloth!!) What a curious pattern! It looks like wheat heads! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete