Pages

Friday, July 07, 2023

Knitalong Update

TGIF, friends! Every morning this week, right after I've turned off my alarm, my first thoughts have been related to figuring out what day it is. It's been hard this week with the holiday in the middle, so I'm very glad to have a weekend ahead to reset.

I've been so focused on spinning lately that I haven't mentioned the little knitalong that Mo and I have been doing (and if I'm completely honest, I haven't been working on it much myself!). Mo has been doing a great job of working on her shawl, and she's needed less help the further she gets on it. She was actually ahead of me for a while, but I worked on mine last night and caught up.

I'm really enjoying this knit and finding it to be really intuitive. I think it's a good challenge for Mo, and she's rising to meet it. This is the first pattern she's actually ever made; her previous knit projects were basic hats and cowls that didn't require a pattern because she had me to help her through the tricky parts. So she's learning to read instructions and also has learned things like make 1 increases and yarnovers for this pattern. I think it's a big confidence boost for her -- and it's certainly making me proud to see her work on this on her own after we did the initial repeats side by side!

Spinning is continuing, of course. My combo spin was finally dry enough to twist up and take photos yesterday, and I have about 1,100 yards to work with.

While I've been trying to spin up older club shipments, I kept thinking about the most recent one to enter my stash, so I decided that had to go on the wheel next:

This is Tokyo on organic merino, and it is dreamy. I'm spinning a traditional three ply again, and while I'm aiming for fingering, my singles are ending up pretty darn thin, so it's possible it'll be a light fingering -- so much depends on how much the yarn floofs up when it's washed.

We have a fairly low-key weekend planned here. Tonight we are headed to services at our synagogue to welcome our congregation's first-ever cantor. We are very excited that he's joining us, and as a member of the board, I'm excited that I played a role in bringing him here. He's fairly young and originally from Australia, and he has a really beautiful voice. I'm looking forward to that new musical element of our services.

Hope you have a good end to your week and a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Your KAL shawls look so lovely! (but I think that green combo spin wins the week... it is so goregous, Sarah!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawls look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting with our daughters is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to knit-a-long with Mo! I love the shawls, and hope you'll continue to share your progress over the summer. And congratulations on your new Cantor! What an exciting thing for you -- and the whole congregation. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mo is lucky to have a mom who is a skilled knitter to learn from and your shawls are looking great. I appreciate the update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your knit-a-long projects are looking great! And that combo spin is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Akerworks Super Skeiner looks like a brilliant idea. The green combo spin came out very well. The colors look so balanced. I look forward to seeing this next spin. I love those colors together. How fun to have a KAL with Mo. I love that she enjoys crafting. I enjoyed Flight Behavior. I thought it was a smart way to tell a story of the varied opinions about climate change. I'm catching up on blogs. The summer evenings call me to be outdoors and we are also getting ready for a little road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living with a new (and I hesitate to call her that) knitter is interesting! My grandmother taught me when I was 10 or so, but that was just knitting and purling. I don't know how old I was when I first followed a pattern, but I think I was in my early 30s. So Bravo to Mo who looks to be doing exceedingly well with her knitting! (My boys both wanted to learn to knit but quite after feeling like they had mastered the knit stitch!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you and Mo go! I'm enjoying following this knit along :) Your green yarn is just gorgeous - I can't help but wonder what it might become? The possibilities are endless!!

    I can see why you got that new fiber right on your wheel. Such beautiful colors! I hope you find lots of time for spinning, knitting, and reading this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an exciting knitalong for you two! This sounds like a good 'flow' project--just enough challenge for her to be deeply engaged...without boredom on the one hand or frustration on the other.
    Enjoy your new cantor. What an honor to be a part of his addition to your community! (I know, for me, music makes a big impact on my spirit-level experience of a service.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the buddy knitting update and how cool that your synagogue is getting a cantor. That's a big step (and a big change) and I hope the transition goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete